• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone provided Project Financing to clients?

shoresigns

Whatever you do, don't call it Signancing :roflmao:

signancing.png

thesignpost

Interesting subject, but my question would be somewhat basic..........

Why would somoene wanna come to you for their finaincing if they would be capable of getting it from their own sources ?? What would make you more enticing then say perhaps, their own lending institution ??

You mentioned little risk for you, what risk would be possibly yours ??
They would only come to you because their lender refused them. I would say leave the financing to banks, that's what they are for. I do signs, why would I do roofing?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That was my whole point. ;-)

Now, I can do more than just make signs or run the shop, but I don't wanna be a bank..... no way, no how. If I ain't gonna get paid, I'd rather be doing something I like doing for free and it ain't making signs for some skumbag.​

Christian @ 2CT Media

They would only come to you because their lender refused them. I would say leave the financing to banks, that's what they are for. I do signs, why would I do roofing?
And you missed exactly what I was asking in my post, and follow up posts... We would not be financing we would forwarding to our banking institution.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have closed a few deals when the client sought financing. There are lending companies that understand and will consider outdoor plants and electronic displays, and offer realistic terms. They will usually specify the asset, and will only finance objects they can put a lien on (or un-bolt and re-sell, as in the case of a EMC). As signs are considered real property (at least in Illinois), it is illegal to "re-possess" them without the property owner's consent (caution: there may already be liens on the property that would prevent you from reclaiming your property even if the business owner has given you consent), but the lender can place a lien on the property for the value of the sign.

Signs in general, however, have no value to the bank, so any loan is going to be a personal type loan such as a credit card. I offer credit card payment, but state up front that the merchant fee will be added to the invoice. Normally, I leave that option "switched off" when invoicing from QuickBooks, and only turn it when requested (I have several government agencies and colleges that pay with credit cards, and some buyers want to get their "cash back" on large purchases). One tactic is to assume the buyer will be using a credit card and price accordingly, then offer a discount for check or cash.

The other piece to this puzzle is credit offered to the client by the sign company. This is common in the industry. Most local customers will pay right up, and it does not take long to develop a sixth sense of who won't. My policy has long been 50% deposit, balance upon completion. I don't extend terms, but 95% will pay within a few days, and some will take 30 days. Those that go past 30 get a phone call; fortunately, for me, it doesn't happen often. Some sign companies have terms on their contract that allow them to collect penalties and interest on late payments; I don't (my contracts are simple), but you may want to consider it.

More difficult are companies that forward signs for national accounts. Most of them will not pay you until they have been paid, and it can take months to get your money. I have never been completely burned, but I've had to wait. Usually, the terms can be discussed before entering into an agreement with a sign forwarding company. They are expert negotiators, and in many cases are paid by the value of the credit extended to them (and thus are motivated), but you can name your terms (price, generally not time to pay) and walk away from the deal if you don't like it. Just don't be shocked when they take months to pay!

It's lame how the purchasing customer doesn't pay the national sign company at least something upfront so they can cover the subs. They float the cost all the way down to the little guy doing all the work making the least in this whole deal.

I don't (usually) accept that as a sub ... and on the other side... I don't do that to my subs.

thesignpost

That was my whole point. ;-)

Now, I can do more than just make signs or run the shop, but I don't wanna be a bank..... no way, no how. If I ain't gonna get paid, I'd rather be doing something I like doing for free and it ain't making signs for some skumbag.​
Exactly, the point I was trying to make, people dont get it.

Jeremiah

In my opinion ..... if a company selling an item has loan contracts and lease contracts on things in their shop, it must seem ok to them to offer credit to their customers in order to purchase their products. In our case , our entire shop and supplies were never purchased on any credit . We always used our profit to upgrade and replace. A credit card may be used but paid in full within 30 days. Learned a long time ago, if you cant pay for your business product .... you dont get it. I'm just explaining another view of how things can be done .

Christian @ 2CT Media

In my opinion ..... if a company selling an item has loan contracts and lease contracts on things in their shop, it must seem ok to them to offer credit to their customers in order to purchase their products. In our case , our entire shop and supplies were never purchased on any credit . We always used our profit to upgrade and replace. A credit card may be used but paid in full within 30 days. Learned a long time ago, if you cant pay for your business product .... you dont get it. I'm just explaining another view of how things can be done .

We own everything too, we have $0 leases but have all the cash in the bank and investments earning interest. The reality is that there is a lot of businesses that start and operate on credit and they are very successful. We have started offering this program to our clients, but so far none have taken it.

Robert Mowad

Sign Man of
I grew too. from a small car wrapper; to an installing manufacturer.... "Yo whoa. A Sign Man rap? ..nooo?" " at least the start of one...maybe? Any suggestions?" lol.
We've earned and owned, worked and grown, stressed and loaned, risked and hoped. We have started with channel letters with faithful local customers. small payment loans to repeat customers. The main preferred payment option is always. 50%/50%. We have extended up to 60 days net per project s mostly installs. We are growing again. in the future. I hope I can write this as a positive experience. As soon as I go through it.
So here is our future goal.
We are currently looking for exclusive lenders specifically, bankers, and brokers interested in financing our clients. Strictly for Sign Design Digital signs. that range from 25 to 50 grand and up depending on size etc. Mostly churches schools and established restaurant chains and franchises. Which we will manufacture and install nationally. If anyone happens to know anyone interested please have them contact us or if you could forward this message. Signs@isigndesign.com www.isigndesign.com
Thank you if you are a licensed insured installer who can pull permits we pay installations 50/50 and sell our digital signs direct as well.
The reason we are looking for an exclusive lender or at least a few. This is to streamline the amount of requests we get. Looking for a direct assist for an
easier transition for our clients our lender and our company. Thank you.

Attachments

• Copy of Gen II 5.jpg
    Copy of Gen II 5.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20191208_180031_033.jpg
    IMG_20191208_180031_033.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 22