• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone put vinyl on a Silo ?

I just got back from looking at a set of 3 silos that are side by side in a line. The customer is looking to have an american flag placed over the three to look like one flag. I have seen photos of this but never in person. I was told that this type of project is normally done at the factory before the silo is lifted into place. I dont have that option.

I total space is 648 inches wide by 506 inches high. Some of it will wrap around to make it look seamless in between the silos.

If I was to do it in straight color vinyl Im looking at a roll( or 7 ) of red stripes 300 feet long by almost 40 inches wide. A roll (or 5) of white 265 feet long by 40 inches wide. The blue field with stars is 280"x242" roughly.

Anyone ever seen this done or did it in the past ? The company looked into the painting option but wanted us to have a shot at quoting it also.

I might be opening a can of worms here but, Any thoughts? :wavingflag:

***I wasnt sure what section to post this in.

SignManiac

"If" I had to do it, I would paint it. Cheaper, easier (assuming you know how to work with paint), and if done right, would last longer.

skyhigh

You ever tried to apply a 30' strip of 40" vinyl to a curved vertical panel 30' in the air?

at 70 ft I have. On the bright side.....you don't see the bubbles. :Big Laugh

If this is similar to what you're doing, then I'd take SignManiac's advice and consider paint.

Attachments

• flags.jpg
    flags.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 94
I have been trying to go the paint option. But the customer and my boss want to do it in vinyl. That photo of the 3 silos with the flag on it is the exact photo they showed us when we met this week.

cant wait to see what happens after the quote is given. :ROFLMAO:

Flame

I would definitely do that in paint. Cheaper and will last longer.

However if they really want to do it in vinyl....well sir, I wish you luck. That is one crazy project to tackle with vinyl.

J Hill Designs

It would be relatively fun if the wind is below 10mph or so...I'd tackle it.

2 days 65' lift @ $1k per day, up your hourly $25 or so for hazard factor, markup vinyl used, good paying gig.

Mosh

in 10 years the vinyl will look like crap then what, painted at least they could re-paint...