Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Has anyone tried 3M IJ175CV3 ?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by KatePhillips, Feb 22, 2021.

1. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Just curious if anyone has given the IJ175CV3 a shot, and what it compares like to IJ180 or other vehicle vinyls? Just shopping around and curious about it.

Tags:
  2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    I haven't, but if it's easier to work with than IJ180cv3 I might have to give it a shot. Is the price point lower?

The 3M site mentions it is stretchable to 130% - but doesn't mention anywhere what IJ180cv3 can stretch.

Do they compromise some of the conformability/stretch to achieve the lower initial tack?

(Sorry to respond to your question with more questions, but I'm curious about this material too!)

Edited to add: Looks like both will stretch to 130% - see attached.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Yeah, I was really mostly interested in the comparison, esp tackyness and repositionability; I can manage the print stuff on our end but I'd like to give our installer the easiest time transitioning if we did.

I think we might request a sample so I'll let people know if we do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    They used to call this non-removable. I see it's listed as "Lesser removal capabilities when compared to film IJ180Cv3 and IJ180mC-10."
    We use this on print/cut vinyl for an installer out of town from me. He had been using ij180 for years, I sent him this stuff and he couldn't tell.
    If you are looking for a recommendation for slideability, the Arlon SLX+ stuff is crazy. I've never seen a vinyl you could drag around a 5'x5' square from one corner until this stuff showed up. It's a little cheaper than 3m, and has a nice cut/weed feel to it. Though it's worth noting, use low tac premask, otherwise the premask sticks much faster than the vinyl, and nearly pulls the vinyl up with it when doing cut letters and the like.

• Like Like x 2
  5. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Thanks for the feedback! Our installer can be a bit picky about the media, but we're really flexible. So we wanted to try something else out without him getting antsy about it. "Lesser Removeable", an interesting way to put it. Does that refer to repositioning while applying, or when removing a wrap?

I personally love printing on Arlon but he absolutely hated working with it because of that lack of tack. Guess it wasn't his cup of tea. I really liked the print side of it though.

6. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Arlon is nice...and I was on a call about the SLX+ this morning with my rep and he said the tack is increasing on it vs the SLX. Im awaiting a sample roll in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I recall reading that it was permanent adhesive, but could not find any current references to it.
    Also, the Arlon 3270 laminate gloss was so much more consistent than the 3m 8518 gloss, I believe I will use the 3270 on any other IJ180 I do print.
    I do feel for the installer on his disdain for the low tack. It's definitely hard to feel confident that the vinyl will stay, since you can pull it right up by hand with no resistance. And once again, avoid it if you are doing print/cut lettering, since the adhesive is harder to activate once it's under a layer of premask.

8. Yeahgor

Yeahgor Born to be The Designer.

Sep 18, 2020
    San Diego, CA