• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone used non-PVC printable vinyl to make stickers or decals?

Project101

Hi,
I have an HP Latex Printer and was a little concerned with all the heat that's involved in curing the media and was wondering if regular PVC vinyl might be releasing some toxic fumes into the air? I have it heating at 220 degrees right now.

I was looking up non-PVC printable vinyl and noticed 3M had a few.
Has anyone used non-PVC vinyl to make printed stickers?
If so, what have you used and did it perform just as well in terms of durability and quality?
Do you guys know if this is any safer to breathe than PVC vinyl?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
No, the PVC is not releasing toxic fumes. If you are smelling something it's the backer or the glue that's doing it.

Fun fact, the 3M PVC free printed with latex stinks like hell when it heats up.

Project101

No, the PVC is not releasing toxic fumes. If you are smelling something it's the backer or the glue that's doing it.

I'm currently using Orajet 3165 and it puts out a strong order too. I noticed the temperature settings on the profiles I've downloaded from HP had it at 241 degrees. I lowered it to 220 and so far seems to dry okay. I might try lowering it some more. I still do want to look into non-pvc options. What kind of job were you using the non-pvc for? Did you like it still? I was considering the 3M 48c non-pvc.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
BIgfish may chime in on this....otherwise Dm him directly and he can probably point you in a direction as well.

ikarasu

We use 3ms alot. Works great.

You can't cut pvc with a laser..... It's toxic and it ruins the laser. So a lot of people use pvc free.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon

Just curious which particular series you’re referring to. We’ve run hundreds of rolls of LX480 (Not suggesting using for decals) on our 570s and haven’t experienced the stink you mentioned. We did experience it with a certain run of 35C a couple years back but that’s not PVC free anyways.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Just curious which particular series you’re referring to. We’ve run hundreds of rolls of LX480 (Not suggesting using for decals) on our 570s and haven’t experienced the stink you mentioned. We did experience it with a certain run of 35C a couple years back but that’s not PVC free anyways.
LX480 on L365. Stinks like hell. And it's definately not just one roll, I've had loads of people smell it. It does go away after it's printed but there's something that stinks when it heats up.
Temperature is basically same in the L570 but the heater is probably circulating most of the stink out to the back. I can pretty much promise you if you open the curing door while printing you will smell it. It has it's own distinct stink. On L365 it just dumps all the heat to the front.
I can smell it on the L800 as well but it also circulates the hot air to the back and it's not so bad as with L365.

Last edited:

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
LX480 on L365. Stinks like hell. And it's definately not just one roll, I've had loads of people smell it. It does go away after it's printed but there's something that stinks when it heats up.
Temperature is basically same in the L570 but the heater is probably circulating most of the stink out to the back. I can pretty much promise you if you open the curing door while printing you will smell it. It has it's own distinct stink. On L365 it just dumps all the heat to the front.
I can smell it on the L800 as well but it also circulates the hot air to the back and it's not so bad as with L365.
Yeah that’s interesting, like I said we’ve printed hundreds of rolls of LX480 without experiencing that and I’d bet we left the door open more that once!

Definitely had a major IJ35C shtank issue that was isolated to a converter I believe but just never experienced it w LX480, luck of the draw I guess.