• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone used Shieldz to prepare a wall for wall graphics?

Cory Marcin

We've been having trouble with our wall graphics failing. Has anyone ever used Shieldz wall covering primer to prepare the wall before installation?
Our current application:
3M-IJ35 with/or without lamination
Prepare the surface using 70/30 ISO
Wait 30 min
Normal installation
Heat treat as a final step

I know 3M has addressed the lowVOC paints as being the culprit. I'm hoping someone can share their success with this cleaning process or another prepping solution.

Thanks!

Reveal1

Have used Shieldz but found that your process adequate in most situations - except we use 25/75 denatured alcohol/distilled water to work best. Sometimes use scotchbrite pad to roughen surface first then clean. It is remarkable the difference alcohol makes removing the film that surfaces on newer paints, but be sure to test in indiscrete area first. We use 3M 40c as our goto, but have used 35c for some tougher situations. I'm not sure the culprit is Low voc - seems to us to be the paints with 'dirt shed' or similar advertised characteristics. Best solution is to have dialogue with customer up-front about using conventional paints, apply on paint no newer than 30 days, and the broken but accurate record on this forum test-test-test.

Cory Marcin

Wouldn't Gardz and high tack vinyl give the same result if they needed to be removed?
Basically, you are only giving permanent options at this point?
My trouble is that GraphiTex and other 'repositionable' materials are much easier to sell! No one wants to hear that their wall will need to be re-textured after you remove this graphic.

jc1cell

I've had cases where I have had to go over the wall three times before getting a good grip from the vinyl. Using denatured alcohol.