Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone used Shieldz to prepare a wall for wall graphics?

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Cory Marcin, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Cory Marcin

Cory Marcin Member

Oct 2, 2018
    Wisconsin
    We've been having trouble with our wall graphics failing. Has anyone ever used Shieldz wall covering primer to prepare the wall before installation?
    Our current application:
    3M-IJ35 with/or without lamination
    Prepare the surface using 70/30 ISO
    Wait 30 min
    Normal installation
    Heat treat as a final step

I know 3M has addressed the lowVOC paints as being the culprit. I'm hoping someone can share their success with this cleaning process or another prepping solution.

Thanks!

2. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Have used Shieldz but found that your process adequate in most situations - except we use 25/75 denatured alcohol/distilled water to work best. Sometimes use scotchbrite pad to roughen surface first then clean. It is remarkable the difference alcohol makes removing the film that surfaces on newer paints, but be sure to test in indiscrete area first. We use 3M 40c as our goto, but have used 35c for some tougher situations. I'm not sure the culprit is Low voc - seems to us to be the paints with 'dirt shed' or similar advertised characteristics. Best solution is to have dialogue with customer up-front about using conventional paints, apply on paint no newer than 30 days, and the broken but accurate record on this forum test-test-test.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    Is Shieldz like Gardz? We used Gardz with great success recently. Our new policy is Gardz or high tack vinyl.

4. Cory Marcin

Cory Marcin Member

Oct 2, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Wouldn't Gardz and high tack vinyl give the same result if they needed to be removed?
    Basically, you are only giving permanent options at this point?
    My trouble is that GraphiTex and other 'repositionable' materials are much easier to sell! No one wants to hear that their wall will need to be re-textured after you remove this graphic.

5. jc1cell

jc1cell Active Member

Jun 11, 2007
    I've had cases where I have had to go over the wall three times before getting a good grip from the vinyl. Using denatured alcohol.