• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has Coreldraw gotten even slower?

Subysti

I don't know what up but it seems to be crashing more and running even slower lately. PC is only a few months old, nothing else running in background. Really should just move to adobe except I don't have the time to learn it.

Subysti

its a subscription so the latest version is the June release of 24.4.0.636. System is a core i9-13900KF, 64gb DDR5-6400 ram, 4tb Nvme x 2, Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti 8gb, win10 64bit.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Your PC's hardware should be more than enough to run the latest version of CorelDRAW really well. I'd check for the usual driver updates for the graphics board and other pieces of hardware.

Another issue that can really screw with CorelDRAW: fonts. The quantity and especially quality of fonts the application's font manager "watches" can make a big impact on performance. I have a fairly big font collection, but am picky about what I put in an "active collection" folder for Corel Font Manager to monitor. Quite a few fonts from free sites like DaFont aren't authored very well. I've even seen technical problems with fonts downloaded from the Google Fonts web site (sometimes I'll wait a few months, go back and download another copy and the font family might be fixed). If I have to load one of those due to it being used in customer provided artwork I'll have it active for only the time I need it and then remove it. "Picture fonts" (fonts with pieces of clip art pretending to be glyphs) can cause really serious lag or even lock-ups when scrolling through the font menu. Lag can even be bad if you turn off the font previews in the filter options.

Yet another factor: other apps running at the same time. CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator will do odd things to each other if both are running at the same time. Some web browsers (cough: Chome) can be memory hogs.

WildWestDesigns

I remember a program that I had that directly interfaced with Draw (but this was back in the x5 and x6 days) and when it was getting hinky like that, it was due to temp files (swap) and those needed to be cleared out every so often(it wasn't actually running out of space, it just seemed like when the temp folder was so big, it couldn't handle it). I actually made it a daily habit of clearing that out, but that may be overkill. Also it helped not having the swap files going to the main OS drive. This may not be an issue with the later versions, just something that I remember way back when.

JBurton

Signtologist
The quantity and especially quality of fonts the application's font manager "watches" can make a big impact on performance.
Bleeding cowboys or whatever is the worst. IDK why I haven't uninstalled it, but rapid scrolling through my fonts always causes corel to have a stroke when I pass it.

Subysti

I will look in to the font issue. It always chokes when I scroll through fonts to use., I never really used the font manager but I'll take a look at it know. I know I've used quit a few fonts from Dafont. Thanks for the ideas as this is getting very frustrating between lags and crashes daily. This is the whole reason I upgraded to an i9 processor thinking the i7 was too slow. was also thinking of going to a Mac but there was no place to try it out first.

WildWestDesigns

Surely that was x3/x4, I leave x6 running with 20 windows open for 6 weeks or more at a whack.
I never had those versions, so I can't say. However, it is project dependent. The more intensive the project(s), the less the amount of files that are required to cause that buildup. I have no idea how intensive those 20 windows are (as far as the files that they are displaying), if they are simple graphics (not saying that they are, just for example), I doubt that you'll have much of a problem. However, if those twenty files have intensive effects attached to them, that could be something else entirely. I have no idea how intensive the files are that the OP is running, this is just something that I have observed with my time with DRAW.

unclebun

The latest update of a couple of weeks ago has introduced a couple of weirdnesses but I have seen no decrease in performance.

JBurton

Signtologist
I never had those versions, so I can't say. However, it is project dependent. The more intensive the project(s), the less the amount of files that are required to cause that buildup. I have no idea how intensive those 20 windows are (as far as the files that they are displaying), if they are simple graphics (not saying that they are, just for example), I doubt that you'll have much of a problem. However, if those twenty files have intensive effects attached to them, that could be something else entirely. I have no idea how intensive the files are that the OP is running, this is just something that I have observed with my time with DRAW.
Good points, most of my work is technical (not talking architect level here), once lenses, large bitmaps, and intricate vectors (1k pieces) get introduced, I'm lucky to not have the whole app crash during an autosave.