• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has the potential client been BSed, or is my inexpereice showing?

GypsyGraphics

Hi folks, hope you can help me out here. Just got a call from a potential client and I figure he's been dished a boat load of BS but thought I better check out his claim. I emailed 3M but I'm sure I'll have an answer sooner from someone here.

He wants his vehicle wrapped in the 3M product that once printed doesn't need laminating. I asked what product that would be and he didn't have the name. Told him I didn't know of any such product and wasn't interest in taking on a vehicle graphic project that wasn't laminted.

So is the problem that someone BSed this guy to give a low-ball bid or is my inexperience the problem here?

thanks for you help

Bigdawg

Just Me
BS... yes you can do it... No you shouldn't do it... your EXPERIENCE showed through on this one when you said you had no interest in unlaminated vehicle wrap...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Problem is printer manufacturers add copy about durability with no lamination... a clueless shop will take that as it does not need lamination, take the Gerber Edge for instance, very durable printing process, graphics not laminated can take a beating, but I have seen careless detailers polish the graphics right off.

It's BS that a sign shop would sell them graphics with no lamination unless they were very temporary.

We both live in the same area... 110+ temps to 30 degrees, you have to use the good stuff.

Don't even wait for the return email from 3M..... Total BS. If the customer does not want to pay to get it done right..... he will be back SOON so then you can charge him for removal and to get it done right.

GypsyGraphics

Not BS. chances are he's talking about Scotchprint

It appears 3M is in agreement with every other member who posted.

It took a few days to hear back from them but their response was:

With all 3M Films that are designed and used for vehicle wraps, the warranty of the finished film is void if an overlaminate is not used.

I suppose you could argue that they don't explicitly say you can't go without lamination. But unless you tell your clients that you've opted to void their warranty by not laminating, then... YES... TOTAL BS!