• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

#$!%^#!$%^#!$^% hate vistaprint

thewvsignguy

Customers asks for prices on a few outdoor banners. Nothing fancy a 2' X 6' and two 18" X 4'. I did not do any artwork for them as they were to send that to me but I did do a written estimate for them.

A few weeks went buy and then one of the owners walked through the door and she had a box. In that box were 4 banners, she went on to explain on how tight times were and trying to open the addition to their business they were looking for a "cheaper" price then what I quoted. She went on to explain that they got a great deal, buy two get one free and 20% off the forth banner or something like that. So I took the banners out of the box and unrolled them on the table and asked "who did these for you" she replied "Vistaprint!".

Well not that they looked bad but they were printed on a very lightweight (10oz I'm guessing) banner material with a UV curable ink. But the best part is that they were not hemmed nor did they have grommets.

I told her that it's no problem hemming the banners and adding the grommets, I charged per grommet and per liner foot for the hemming. Then she tells me that she will need them installed in 3 days before the big Memorial day weekend. No problem, I can handle that but told her that I will have to charge more then the 3 week old estimate due to shuffling jobs around and making the time to do this.

I get on the phone with fellers and order two sets of the pole banner brackets, they will be delivered the next day (Tuesday) so that leave the employees Wednesday to hem and grommet the banners. And so we went out on Thursday and spent and hour and a half (including the round trip) and installed the banners.

I don't know what they paid for the banners (and never asked). All and all we made a pretty good penny for a few hours of work. They learned a very valuable lesson, you get what you pay for from vistaprint.

Rooster

If anybody questions my prices I just tell them they can get their cards for free from Vistaprint.

Then I follow that with a little, you better google "vista print scam" before you order though.

I book a surprising amount of orders with that schtick. I guess people in my area are familiar with "too good to be true" offers.

MIMO

Angela, please tell me you are kidding. Why in the world would you support Four Over, a company that is out there scamming the industry by claiming to be a trade printer when they'll sell to anyone and when they have an end user site that competes with you. If you didn't know, then now you do.

Locals Find!

Angela, please tell me you are kidding. Why in the world would you support Four Over, a company that is out there scamming the industry by claiming to be a trade printer when they'll sell to anyone and when they have an end user site that competes with you. If you didn't know, then now you do.

I have heard this claim before but, can't find any end-user site. Care to share. PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

Locals Find!

redtagprintsale.com... 4over's direct to consumer site

This is not a promotion, its just for knowledge of direct competition.

That's not a competing site. What that program does is feed the clients over to those belonging to the program. Its a lead/sales generation tool. Its expensive to belong to and only the top producers can afford to use it. Many Sign Franchise companies belong to it.

Your potential customer goes on the site and orders the product. They then get assigned by their region to the closest member. That member gets the difference between the retail price and their current pricing level with 4over. The member gets all the contact info etc.. 4over simply processes the order.

While I am not a 4over fan. The program is just good business for those wanting or needing to directly compete with online design tools and the big lowballers like vista print and the others of their ilk.

sublime000

It's a very frustrating feeling to lose business. Hope this week is going a little better. :) I know that VISTA Print does offer the reseller pricing option, (for a fee) but their quality is lacking...along with service. If it helps, we recently started using a great company called ZOO PRINTING. (In our experience,) They have offered fantastic service, quality product, an easy to use website and of course reseller pricing.

ucmj22

Make sure you keep some vistaprint samples in the shop, and when they say they can get them cheaper at vistaprint, whip them out and show them the quality next to yours, and ask them which one they would rather have representing them by proxy. I have tried a few printers for outsourcing and have had good results with Gotprint.net they offer lots of options on paper stock and products. I have sold a lot of the 16pt dull finish business cards, and everybody has been really happy with them. plus they use offset for their business cards, so they just look better.

wildside

my favorite part of the commercial they have on tv, the small print at the bottom says the cards are free with a 21 day production schedule, vistaprint website on back of card and shipping rates vary..... got to love small print details

i had one go to them, he was surprised that they wouldn't custom design the cards for him, that he had to upload or use stock images, when he got them they did have their website on the back and they were free, shipping was only 19.99 and it did take 3 weeks to get to him.....

500 of the cards from us would have been more like $100, so he did save money:covereyes:

CanuckSigns

We decided to partner with a LOCAL print shop for all flyers business cards etc. the deal is that we send customers to them for paper type printing, and they send customers to us for signage and decals etc.

it's worked out quite well for both of us and it helps keep the money local.

ucmj22

we tried to do that, but the local printers had very limited stock selection, and even they couldn't come close to competing with online prices. I hate having to send business out of the area, but when the local area cant compete on at least one level, quality or price, its hard to do it.

CanuckSigns

yeah it can be hard, I think we may be lucky, our area seems to buy into the whole "shop local" idea, i've never had someone come in with a online price and ask us to match it. maybe it's because the average age in this town is 70 lol!

10sacer

Overnight Prints is who I use if not one of my local offset guys with a digital press that needs something to run.