• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hauling a 540i 330 miles?

34Ford

So what do you do when you have a '02 Ford Explorer and a 5 x 10 trailer and the trip is 330 miles?

I could just get it in the Explorer with stand apart if I have to, but that is 91 inches of printer.
Better to put it in a trailer, on or off the stand? My fear is the trailers rough ride.

ThinkRight

Go buy some thick Styrofoam and make a bed for the printer.
The spongy sound batting looking stuff.
Only a few bucks.

Fivestar

Also if you take it off the stand, don't forget to unscrew the waste bottle and wrap the drip lines with paper towels or something. Congrats on the printer by the way.

34Ford

Yes, by all means on the heads being secured.

Maybe I should just go ahead and buy the lumber and make a nice box for it lined with that foam.

Hell that would be as good as them riding around in the back of freight trucks wouldn't it?
Thought about loading some weight in the trailer so it will ride better too.
I have some industrial saran wrap from work I can wrap it before putting it in the box.

34Ford

Thanks Fivestar.

It will be next Saturday before I go get it, but I think I did alright. It only has 200 hours on it.

I am waiting on him to get me the dimensions of the printer alone, unless you guys happen to know.

ThinkRight

Hahaha
I drove from Atlanta to Key West and back to pick up my Summa.
Long frikin drive, and I think Miami has more tolls than any town in the U.S.
Seems like every fifteen minutes we had to pay another toll on the same road.

34Ford

I know, I always keep boxes when I buy new but in this case I am the 3rd owner.

But for this sweet printer Im looking forward to building a crate.

34Ford

Oh while I`m thinking of it, do I need to have the seller release the serial number when I take ownership of it?

Stagecraft

I did this a year ago when I purchased a used SP540-V and had to move it from Calgary to Vancouver. I was driving a Honda Element at the time. I secured the head, removed and disassembled the stand and rollers, removed the ink bottle and plugged it and then just laid it inside the car with all the seats folded down and propped level with the contents of my overnight bag.
It fit inside with literally three inches of clearance and survived a twelve hour drive just fine. I did get it out and reassembled the next morning so as not to let it dry out.
I should say that I measured my car against the Roland dimensions very carefully before driving out to pick up the machine.
Best of luck with the move! - Boyd

Jim Hill

How to move a printer

First I would never move a printer in a small trailer.

At least with a larger enclosed trailer you can move the load to the front of the trailer so that it is not over the axles and wheels.

Years ago I shipped crates of glass all over the country using semi trailers and they always wanted the glass in the front of the trailer unless they told me you want it to arrive broken.

I shipped my Roland Printer over 1,300 miles using a commercial trucking firm and it was shipped in the original crate and it arrived with no damage.

The cost was $400.00 dollars but when you think about what it causes to get a tech to make a service call to fix whatever might get broken it was well worth the $400.00 shipping fee.

Unless you have experience moving heavy equipment and are super careful don't even try it.

Jim Hill

vinylcutgraphics

Hi all,

would agree with most of above - moved our cadet in a van - secured head, unscrewed wasted/plugged - if it is rigid type or hard suspension, will need plenty of protection underneath to iron out the jolts.

34Ford

Trust me if I could get it in the explorer I would.

But I am going to build a box outta 2x4's and osb big enough for it to be packed with about 4 inches of foam all the way around, and screw the lid down.

What I need is the dimensions of the printer itself.
91" x ??" x ??"

Stagecraft

If you can get to the manufacturer's website, all the specs for dimensions should be available for size and weight. - Boyd

34Ford

Manufacture shows dimensions with stand.

Madness.............another solution is,

Ok, the wife is waiting on Enterprise to call and give us the cost for a cargo van. Will not have to break the printer down, load it up and go. Probably the best way to go.

Or.......I will have to kiss the owners butt at work to borrow their van, gag, ugh. I am not a suck-up person.