Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Have a need for some ideas...............................

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Gino, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Have a customer who gets all kindsa things from us from magnetics, to banners to window decorations. Gonna be doing some trucks for them in the near future, but he came in today with a request, that I'm kinda at a loss for.

They have on their premises a 53' tractor trailer. Just the trailer portion. They will be slowly filling it up with used stuff and once full, it will be hauled away and another trailer will take it's place.

They wanna put about a 7' x 25' banner on it, but can't screw it fast and velcro won't work. A snap frame won't work, either, as it's not theirs to destroy to any degree. How can we put a sign on it that can just be replaced when changing out the trailers about once every 3 or 4 months ??

:thankyou: Gino

Tags:
  2. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Large paneled print, like a wall wrap. I'm afraid that's the only option if you can't attach one single fastener. Use cheap removable vinyl. Yeah, they'll have to redo it every time they bring a new trailer. More repeat business!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    If it is up off the ground (trailer and not container) can you strap a banner around to the other side like a cheap set of seat covers from AutoZone?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  4. OhioSigns

OhioSigns Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Greenville, Ohio
    Could you do a banner with pole pockets top and bottom and then use ratchet straps that would wrap around the trailer and either attach to the other side of the banner or find something to grab onto beneath the trailer. Maybe a combination of ratchet straps with some double sided tape to keep it from shifting would work? Without using fasteners that job sounds like a liability if it were to come off and do damage or cause an accident.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. ledhead

ledhead New Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Midwest
    You could do it on banner. Have a bunch of grommets and then rope long enough to go over the top and under the bottom then tie the ends of the rope together.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I guess you don't do a lot of billboards Gino? Order this from a billboard company with pockets, get some pvc and unions for the perimeter, make cuts every 4' or so for ratchet straps (husky straps are currently the cheapest that still work) hook the strap through the hole around the pvc, hook it to the edge of the truck or an opposing strap.
    Either that or just print up some really long magnets, but I can't guess the cost on that much mag material.

I can count number of times I've seen billboard faces get blown down off a framed billboard on one hand. (One's without a backer to keep wind off the back of the face are a different story.) We use maybe 20 straps on a 12x42 billboard face, straps usually last two change outs, so 2 years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Around here, unless you are an authorized billboard company, you cannot work on billboards. That was put into effect about 30 years ago. Don't know if it's statewide, but how it is on the eastern side of the state.

This rachet-type system or just tying it on sounds like the way to go.

8. chadorama

chadorama Owner & Sole Employee

Dec 20, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Use mesh banner material if wind is a huge concern.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I agree, set it up as a large pole pocketed "billboard" banner.

10. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    This suggestion might seem lame, but could you not put a sign/signs/ on posts and park the trailer behind/between the sign(s)?

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Nope. At that size, with posts buried in the ground or even a sled setup, it would be considered permanent and not meet codes. The banner on the trailer is considered temporary. It is a way around the codes, but it works. Besides to get a 25' long sign installed... that would take quite a bit of installation and costs.

12. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    All of that makes perfect sense. Carry on and ignore my lame suggestion. ;)

• I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    No, it wasn't a lame idea. It was one I also considered, until I thought of the logistics.

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Billboard company?!? Lamar really got their hooks in around those parts I'm guessing. Or Clear Channel. In any case, call up an actual billboard company for the faces, someone like Kramer graphics. This should cost a couple hundred dollars at most, if you go with a banner company the cost will likely be doubled or more.

15. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I'd go with banner and hooked/good size rare earth magnets every 12".

16. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Yeah, those special magnets made for aluminum work great.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oh yeah? I'd swear they used to be skinned with sheet metal. I know the consumer trailers are all aluminum...

18. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Well, I'm inspired by the guys who invented knifeless tape and sold it to 3m so I'm working on my aluminum magnet patent. When ready will crowd fund and S101 members will get first crack.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Even if they're non-ferrous, you can still use magnet with a cheap throw away piece of scrap metal on the inside. Being this customer is going to fill the container, I doubt they'll want to recover those pieces. A flat, iron-frame, that can be pulled out afterwards might work too. 60 magnets with a holding force of 75lbs, I bet it'll hold, but that's just me.

20. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    +1 billboard setup with pole pockets and ratchet straps.