• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Have to go get a cat scan today!!! :(

gabagoo

Last Friday I was cutting down some banners on a 30" high table, and probably spent to long in one positiion. Got the ol stiff lower back syndrome. It usually goes a way in a few minutes. It did, and I didn't think anything of it.

Sunday I start experiencing some serious lower back pain and start trying to figure out what I had done, and naturally remembered the Friday incident. Usually back pain can come a few days later as I have experienced over the years.

The difference with this pain ,which kept me awake most of Sunday night was that I also felt this strange feeling like I had to go to the washroom, although I didn't have to.

By Tuesday it seemed all better and I just took it easy and was careful with any lifting or leaning over.

Fast forward to last nights drive home....

I am about a mile or so from getting home and I start to get this feeling in my lower back again like a sort of spasm mixed with that feeling of having to go to the can.
I figured it was a muscle spasm and I start wiggling around while driving. The pain kept increasing and I just wanted to get out of the car and stretch or straighten out as no matter which way I squirmed while driving I could not get rid of it.
Naturally the last 1/2 mile I get behind a guy who drives 25 mph.. grrrrrr

Get home and as I get out of the car, it is not going away and I basically felt pale. Went inside and told the wife..."Somethings wrong" and went upstairs to change and try and massage my lower side. The pain was so intense and I could not really find it. I took a couple of Advils and sat and realized that this was about the worst pain I have ever experienced.

After about 5 minutes I told the wife to take me to the hospital.

For me to say this is incredible as I would rather run my nails over a chalkboard rather than sit in an emergency ward. I have never been in a hospital outside of visiting people or taking other family members.

As my wife drove me there I told her to step on it and get me there quick as I writhed in pain. I could not sit in that seat, I just wanted to jump out of the car.

Naturally as I get there and walk into the emergency room the pain subsides and by the time my wife meets up with me it is all but gone.

I hung in anyways as they had a tv with the olmpics on and I could watch the hockey game.

After a blood test and a urine sample it seems I may have a kidney stone.

Jeez, is this gonna be like Kramer's?

Got me some tylenol 3's if the pain comes back (it hasn't) and now today I have to spend the day in the hospital for a cat scan.

wish me luck!!!!

gabagoo

Thanks dudes!!! 15 minutes till the moment of truth. Hopefully it is a stone and nothing worse.
I have a Myrtle Beach golf holiday planned for the end of March...and NOTHING...I say NOTHING is gonna stop me from going..... well almost nothing

binki

if it is a kidney stone the scan will find it. it is kind of neat doing the scan. i enjoyed mine. the best part is when the injected iodine for the imaging. you get a warm feeling and a metalic taste in your mouth.

i dont think they are cat scans any more though. the pc term is CT scan or something along those lines.

gabagoo

Good news!!!

ct scan equipment- $500,000

ultrasound scanners and comps - $125,000

They found NUTIN wrong with me......Priceless!!!!

So now I am all worried as to just WTH was that incredibly delibitating pain I experienced?

Gonna carry those t3's around with me for a week or so just in case it decides to return

BTW I guessed on the equipment costs :glasses:

Jillbeans

Glad they didn't find anything.
Were you checked for a kidney infection?
Those hurt.
Try drinking some 100% cranberry juice.
It's puckery but good for the bladder and kidneys.
Love....jill

sgns4u

You could have passed the little booger and not realized it. My brother deals with kidney stones A LOT!!! Most of the time he knows when he has passed one but sometimes he doesn't. He just feels relief.

Here's hoping you stay pain free!

Sherry

OldPaint

now.........watch your urine for blood.............
i had a really really bad back pain(i also have a bad back, so pain in that area is sorta normal)was so bad i couldnt lay flat in bed. slept in the recliner for 2 nites, went and had a massage, but she had to do the massage in the face chair, cause i couldnt lay flat. so a couple days later the pain went away, i thought it was done with. so iam out hanging vinyl on a 24' box truck. and been drinking coffee all morning and now i got to go.................so i kinda hid behind the truck, and i had sunglasses on........so i get it out and start to go...and what comes out is BLACK LOOKIN!!!!!!!
i take off the sun glasses, and now i can see..........it really a dark RED!!!!!! well i got this job to finish ..........ill deal with the red pee after iam done. i got the truck done, got paid and went home. i hada small apartment i rented and the guy was goning to school for PARAMEDIC. i get home go to can, and i really gota go....so i let it rip.......ONLY TO SEE DARK RED...........AGAIN.....but all of a sudden.......it stopped on it own, and i still feel like i got a bladder full..........and all of a sudden WOOSH....it starts again!!!!! still red, but the full felling is gone.
i called the guy who was renting from me, he comes over and saw the red pool, asked me if i hada really bad back recently............i said yea.............. he said i probably passed a KIDNEY STONE.......and to drink a lot of cranberry juice, and if it didnt flow clear after a couple more times..to get to the hospital. did the cranberry juice, and no more red........but i was lucky........it came down with no added pain.....

gabagoo

Maybe it passed or maybe it was some kind of incredible back/side spasm that lasted 45 minutes. No clue.

What I do have to say is that I am up here in Canada and for all the tests and doctors time it cost me nothing. The staff were great and expedient and honestly everything moved quite well all day.
I have heard horror stories of people waiting for treatment, but I didn't experience any of it.
So the entire cost was $14.00 for the t3's... oh and a lost day at work lol

I will drink plenty of water and maybe I will get some cranberry juice too.

Baz

Glad you are feeling better. I had a friend who had kidney stones a while back and we searched on the internet for more info and one thing that stuck in my mind was that it was a worse pain than being shot!!

Dave Drane

Well, all the best. I have had shoulder injuries and know how bad they are so i can't imagine how bad it would be down on the lower back.