• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Have to move the shop :-(

Bigdawg

Just Me
We have rented for about 3 years. The guy we rent from went into foreclosure and (surprisingly) the unit was just sold to a non-investor buyer. Which means that we have to move in 30 days since there was no lease after the foreclosure.

Ugh. Any helpful advice on moving the VP540? Am trying to look at this as an opportunity but having a hard time.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Already have a lawyer. There is no lease. We have 30 days. Period. Wasn't asking about the law in regards to the move - we leave that up to the professionals (lawyers).

Now any thoughts on moving the printer?

Bigdawg

Just Me
No advice on moving the printer, but do you have a place picked out to move to?

That's today's and next weeks plan. Looking at nearby spaces... there's lots available which is why we were surprised at the unit selling so quickly and to a non-investor. It's a condo unit so most of them are owned by investors.

We are going to try for more bay area for box trucks this time. Realistically need about 2500 sf or so.

What a pain.

fmg

Make sure the power is off,Take the carts out, Lock the head into place and secure onto a flat bed surfaced truck and Move it!! Move it Move it!! Good luck and hope all works out with your move!

jfiscus

Rap Master
You're in florida so the cold shouldn't be an issue this time of year. The printer's manual has instructions on preparing it for moving it (locking the head in place). other than that just take your time & be gentle with it, then strap it into place in the moving vehicle.

You'll probably have to re-level it at the new place & do some standard calibration exercises / test prints just to make sure it's happy in its new location. The hardest part we had movind our SP540 was getting the IP addresses happy again so that everything communicated well.

S

SignTech

wow ... such short notice ... sorry Stacy ....... if I was near you I'd help you move ...

Bigdawg

Just Me
You're in florida so the cold shouldn't be an issue this time of year. The printer's manual has instructions on preparing it for moving it (locking the head in place). other than that just take your time & be gentle with it, then strap it into place in the moving vehicle.

You'll probably have to re-level it at the new place & do some standard calibration exercises / test prints just to make sure it's happy in its new location. The hardest part we had movind our SP540 was getting the IP addresses happy again so that everything communicated well.

Cripe. I forgot about that. We just spent big bucks getting our networking up and running correctly so everything could see everything else....

wonder what other little things like that I'm forgetting about. Already planning on re-profiling everything at the new place.

And thanks Sign-tech - i think we are going to hire some pros to actually do the move. We're just a little shop personnel-wise - out big concern was/is moving the printer. But I'll let some big, cute, hunky movers do it for me :smile:

btropical.com

Get Black sharpees , hunt for boxes right after Xmas , yard sale all you can . low ball any rent offers , check new digs at different times of day to see traffic flow . Check behind new rental to see if other businesses are productive , "lotsa boxes in dumpsters "

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,17291,27615&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=moving+your+business&cp=12&qe=bW92aW5nIHlvdXIgYg&qesig=4wUlUYELpfN_DywKOSHeTQ&pkc=AFgZ2tl4oaDHa3MQaOwirMxW4fusKiC0TrZ0fJCDs_v8TM1UGlmhhLNouNUNUHPK5FgY9Hi--efNLol1JYN9YX0PZlw7zA6O7w&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=moving+your+b&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=e64ee6e4e8056c32

ova

We moved our shop a couple of months ago. I too was worried about moving our printer.[sp300v]. We went strictly by the manual. It will tell you all the little details you might not think about. Be sure and remove the waste bottle.

We put the printer in the back of the moving truck, secured it to the sides so it would not move. We only moved about 5 miles and everything went smooth as silk.

One thing I would suggest for the move. Have a layout of your new building showing where everything from the old building will go. Pack the truck according to the new layout so when you take stuff off the truck, it has a place, not just in the middle of the floor. If it's possible, move all the desks, computers, scanners, etc first. This way someone can be plugging stuff in to make sure all systems are go. If there are any problems with the net, phone and such, it can be taken care of ASAP.

When you get the printer hooked up, run a test ASAP. This way the inks will not have a chance to dry in the lines. We had no communication problems at all when we hooked the computer to the printer.

Hope this helps
Dave

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stacy, we moved ours twice. Once a long haul and once a short distance.

There's nothing really tough about it. We babied it and someone rode right along side of it while we drove. If you're still in need, next week I'll get from Jeremy what all we had to do. In fact, we sent a CJ500 on a truck to Florida a few years ago without a single hitch.

Rest easy on the moving and incidentals of moving equipment.... you're biggest problem is gonna be finding a place at this time of the year that will be considered a home and not a stepping stone.

Good Luck.............

CheapVehicleWrap

It'll all be for the better. Be glad you don't have to move my shops. My printer and laminator alone need to be partially disassembled so they can fit through the second story window and lowered 25 feet.

You'd be surprised what a few people can do in an emergency move, I've done it at least 3 times and it was always an upgrade. Best of luck and drive real slow.

surf city

Sorry to hear about your having to move, definately not fun but, hopefully you will move to a better place. I wish you lots of luck and lots of business when you do move.

Letterbox Mike

I have no advice on moving your printer, just wanted to chime in and say I know exactly how you feel. About 2 years ago we were in the exact same position, except we were given 2 weeks to move instead 4. 2 weeks to find a location, build it out, move into it, and be operational. NOT FUN. It was also right at Christmas time so that sucked the fun out of the holidays. Anyway, good luck, and take time to enjoy the holidays!

schramm

Well I feel for you, I had recently rented a 1500 sf building for silvering mirrors and crating them. I paid nearly $4000 to get everything (compressors, spray room and tables set up, air lines and new electric set up) when the city decided to do sewer construction, while in the final stages they sent a city building inspector around and when he got to me he said, did you know this is NOT COMMERCIAL and you will have to move out. It is a commercial building HOWEVER it is rated RESIDENTIAL. So I had just leased a new 2500 sf house and was in the process of moving all my stuff to the new house when I was told to move out of the building! Needless to say I feel for you as I am out nearly $7K as the owner of the building doesnt have the money to give back to me. Now I have to sue him and really he has no money!
I have no advise on equipment other then very carefully but I wish you nothing but the best and I know how your feeling!