• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having Hard Time Making Profile for PhotoTex in Onyx 11

Hi guys,

I have been working on profiling PhotoTex for my Epson 9900 AQ printer. I go through all of the settings and make a profile. The ink restrictions swatches and the ink limits look good when I'm going through the process. Images look good.

I am running into an issue when I print a job that needs to be contour cut in Onyx. The registration marks are coming out all puddled up. Is there a setting somewhere to tell it to color manage the marks. This is getting frustrating.

Picture attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 92

MikePro

are you using the right phototex? there's an aqueous and a solvent version.

p.s. you're gonna have a heck of a time cutting anything more than a straight line.

edited: CES's post below makes way more sense. Cutter mark darkness setting has got to be it.

CES020

I can't help you with your specific issue because I'm a newbie, but I have seen the cutter mark darkness setting. In Rip Que, click "Change" on the material setting on the right, then in that window, pick the "Option" tab and you'll see a cutter mark darkness setting like shown in the attached photo. I don't have any idea if that'll solve your problem, but maybe it will!

CutterDarkness.jpg

MikePro

ink limits would be my next guess
otherwise, possibly to dial-up your settings for the print? max pass rate, slow speed, and highest temperature, to give the ink some more ability to dry before piling more on.

OR pause the print when it starts making the marks & apply a piece of white print material where you'll know it can finish printing the marks & label onto.
I use that trick for when my cutter won't recognize my printed marks on odd materials, except I draw them with a pen.

I'm wondering if its cause I'm trying to print with matte black inks. One the of the color guys from LexJet told me one time that matte black doesn't dry at fast as photo black inks...I think i'm going to make a profile with photo black inks and see how that looks. the only issue is in the registration marks. If I make a patch of 400c, 400m, 400y and 400k and print it doesn't pool in those swatches on the print...so what the heck is going on?

MikePro

its a porous material, and an aqueous printer, i'm curious if you would even be able to get those tiny letters/barcode lines to print perfect anways.
i would go with the printable vinyl tabs trick as a quick-fix, but it won't help you much if your prints are coming out all smudged too.