• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Having Problem with Gerber'sArtPath when trying to Panel a job

Barry Jenicek

So....I have a job that requires my sign to exceed the physical limits of my Gerber 408 router. I am using Gerber's ArtPath software.

Attached are a few screen shots of the problem I am having.

Picture 01
You can see the Red Panel Line. Because of the error message I am receiving, I deliberately assigned a HORIZONTAL Clean Out. (you will see why in a minute)

Picture 02
Here you can see the error message I am getting. "Cannot do job with vertical cutlines. Please rearrange the job".

Cutlines to me means the Clean Out paths the routers bit will take. Because I assigned a Horizontal Clean Out, I cannot understand why the message talks about "Vertical cutlines". I must really be missing something here!

Any Ideas??

Thanks
Barry J

Problem with ArtPath 01.jpg Problem with ArtPath 02.jpg

Eric H

Vertical cut line is the red line, art path is trying to panel the piece but it exceeds the width of the table. It needs to be broken apart in your design software and cut as two pieces.Is your material 5’? 5’ won’t fit on your table so it can’t be cut in one piece.

Barry Jenicek

Vertical cut line is the red line, art path is trying to panel the piece but it exceeds the width of the table. It needs to be broken apart in your design software and cut as two pieces.Is your material 5’? 5’ won’t fit on your table so it can’t be cut in one piece.

Barry Jenicek

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply...But "Say it Ain't True!" ;). Because if you are correct, then my opinion of Gerber's ArtPath Software just went down the drain! :(:(

What you say does make sense, but one would think that ArtPath Paneling would work the same way like Composer Paneling when using Vinyl. In Composer, if my Vinyl Image is larger than 15.25 inches high, it will automatically panel the output into 2 or as many panels needed to cut out the job (and even apply an adjustable Overlap). All that is done automatically and all closed shapes remain closed. One would think that Gerber would employ that same functionally across all their software products. I have a gut-wrenching feeling that you are correct. :eek: ugh!

I found an article in SignCraft magazine (July 2002) written by David McDonald where he described how he approaches this task using SignLab software. His method is exactly as you described.

I'll try Davids method and post my results here once I get it to work.

Eric H

Not sure comparing it to a plotter is apples to apples. I don't think it's as hard as your making it out to be especially since your 2nd panel is small and there's no v carving in it. In composer put a vertical guideline where you want to break it. Use snap to guidelines. Drag the slice and dice tool across the shape and I believe with your shape it should give you the two pieces you need.