• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having trouble combining in X5

Jillbeans

Hi.
Still learning Corel X5 up from Corel 12.
Having an issue when I break apart something.
Meaning something with a part which should be open after it's combined.
This isn't happening with letters (like an R or a B) it's with shapes.
Although it happens sometimes with lettering inside a shape, such as inside a reverse panel.
(that cuts fine when I send to my plotter but doesn't look right on my screen)
Sometimes when I break apart and combine it works fine. Other times, when viewed in enhanced version, the object is solid. But in the wireframe it's combined and all the pieces are there.
I'm thinking maybe it was something which had a copy on top in another layer but that's not the case.
Any ideas as to where I'm screwing up?
:thankyou:
(sorry if this is vague)
Love....Jill

signage

I spoke with Jill and got it straightened out. For some reason sometimes when combining shapes you need to reverse the direction of the nodes and it will then work. So I told her what to do and she got it to work.

Last edited:

ucmj22

This happens sometimes in Illustrator for me. If I am trying to cut a top shape out of multiple bottom shapes the bottom shapes must be combined in to a compound shape first. some times with provided files, I just take the direct selection tool, and delete the extra shapes and below them is usually the open space.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I spoke with Jill and got it straightened out. For some reason sometimes when combining shapes you need to reverse the direction of the nodes and it will then work. So I told her what to do and she got it to work.

would you care to share that fix with the rest of the class :smile:

signage

Stacy I did it was to reverse direction of the nodes!

I even went back and made it bold and red!

Jillbeans

It's still being a little b!tch. The switching nodes things works in some cases but not all.
This is a drawing I drew and scanned into my computer, not shapes or a font.
But Brian's advice helps.
:)

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
just as signage said, reversing the nodes helps. I've had that problem since corel 8. Especially when I am doing outlined objects (mainly illustrations) Sometimes if it still doesn't get fixed ... make a hairline outline of the object, break apart the outline then zoom all the way in to delete the outside line keeping the inside then combine the new line with the shape you want it cut out of ... lot of steps ... but it is an extra 4 or 5 seconds.

Jillbeans

This is the file I'm working on.
If I break it all apart and combine it you'd think I'd get a plain black and white version (top one) but nooo.
I have to group and bring to front even to make the stuff show up.
(bottom one)
I'll try the latest tip, sounds do-able even for me.
:wink:

Attachments

• house3.jpg
    house3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 91

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Care to post the file (or a part of it) that is giving you trouble?
I assume you used autotrace on your scan.
It seems like you have stacked shapes that are messing up the combine.
I don't use autotrace much at all, but it can do odd things when it stacks up the vectors against a white background.
Often on something like this it might be quicker to add a new empty layer and use the smart fill tool to get just the shapes you need and delete all the duplicate stacked paths on the original layer.

wayne k
guam usa

Jillbeans

Brain called me again yesterday and now it acted "right".
This was a scan to vector which I saved as an .ai and imported into Corel.