• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having Trouble with External Hard Drive

rdm01

I have a 500gb external hard drive, and I cannot seem to get it to work right. When it is plugged in (via usb), it seems to slow the computer down, and the drive letter doesn't show up. The driver CD that came with the drive doesn't seem to work, and I am at a loss on how to get this thing to work properly. Anyone have any bright ideas on how to get it ticking and stop it from bogging/freezing my computer?

SignBurst PCs

Is it a new drive?

Does it show up in Device Manager?

Right-click "My Computer" or "Computer" and choose "Manage". On the left side of the new window, you should have "Device Manager". Click on it. The external should show up under "Disk drives".

You should also look under "Disk Management" (also on left side).

rdm01

Sorry, some more info:

It is a new hard drive, We are running XP, and they should be compatible. It has worked, and the drive letter appeared in the My Computer tab, but after about 10 min of transferring files there was an error. Now when it is plugged in I get the noise from the computer, but nothing further. I no longer see it under disk management.

SignBurst PCs

nice... ok.

Have you rebooted the PC?

Also power-cycle the drive (turn off and on again).

Try a different USB port too.

If it shows up again, great. If not, you may just have a bad drive.

rdm01

When it is on and plugged in to the USB drive and I restart, the computer hangs both on shut down and start up unless I temporarily unplug the drive. Other than that I have both restarted and power cycled the drive.

SignBurst PCs

Sounds a little sketchy to me. I would probably return it for a new one.

Does it work on any other PC?

Also, there may be BIOS (boot settings) that could interfere, but that is less likely being as it worked for a while.

rdm01

If I plug it in I can see it appear in the device manager, but that is about as far as I get.

Service Sign Co

A bad piece of hardware isn't beyond the realm of possibilities, I was having problems and discovered a bad memory stick,which was causing random re boots and the inability to install new software

rdm01

Thumb drives work fine, this does not. If something is bad, is there a chance I could just get a new case and usb interface, and plug the existing hard drive into it.

I was transferring alot of our production files, .fs .eps .ai... etc.

SignBurst PCs

There is a chance, depending on the kind of drive and where you bought it.

You were "copying" the files, right? Not moving them.:Oops:

If you "moved" them, I can see your dilema.

Hopefully you have a good backup?

Just out of curiosity, what was the error that you got when this all started.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i have issues with my thumb drive when starting windows....it actually has to be unplugged in order for windows to start....check the manufacturer's website....sometimes you have to go into the BIOS and delete the drive then shut down and restart...i've also had to do this with my thumb drive....

any chance you could try it on another system??

ChicagoGraphics

I just added an external hard drive to one of my computers last week and it runs like a dream. It doesn't freeze or lock up on me. The one you bought is probably bad.

rdm01

HMMM, I will take it home and try it on one of my computers. It was intended to be used as a backup drive, the first backup stopped as I said, and it has worked before, just slow and winds up in freezing. I was copying the files not moving them (that would have been bad). Perhaps removing it from the bios and starting over may work, any tutorials on the web on how to do that? I want to be extra sure that I don't screw anything up.

I may just buy another case, it seems like the problem may be with the usb interface and included drivers. Plus you can get those for cheaper than shipping it back, paying a possible restocking fee, and getting a new one.

choucove

Many motherboards today come with the option in BIOS to boot from an external USB drive, such as an external hard drive. However, if the boot priority is set so a USB drive is booting before your internal root hard drive (or sometimes, even if the option to boot from USB is just enabled) then it will not let the computer boot properly. The best thing to do is go into your BIOS and see what boot devices are enabled. If there are any options for a USB device, disable it. It can cause more problems than anything. We just built a new RIP station that actually will not boot properly even if the Flexi dongle is left in the USB drive if the option in BIOS is not disable to boot from a USB device.

BIOS menus vary from system to system so it is hard to give you a step-by-step instruction for disabling a boot option without knowing your system. However, the general idea is like this: Boot into the BIOS when your computer is first loading up. Watch for what button you need to press to enter BIOS, it is often the Del button or F12 button or similar. When you enter the BIOS, you will be searching for a section usually called Boot Devices or Boot Order. This lists the type of drives that your computer will attempt to boot from, along with the order in which it will try and boot from them. When you look at this list, there will generally be a few different boot devices. Your primary hard drive (where your Windows is installed) should be listed, along with a floppy drive (if one is present in your computer) and CD/DVD-ROM drives. There may also be options for booting from an external USB device, or on the rare case through a network interface card (NIC). Somewhere on this screen should also be a description of what you need to press or do to enable/disable a boot device or change its priority. If the option is to enable/disable, then you want to find the Boot From USB option and disable that one. If the option is just to change around the boot priority (which devices the computer will try to boot from first) then you want to move the Boot From USB option to the very last priority.

It is very important when you are working in BIOS, especially if you are new to it, to be very careful. I suggest taking your time, and before you even go changing ANY settings, just open in to BIOS and search around and if need be google some of the options and menus you are seeing, but just be careful changing around any settings and be sure the changes you make are ones that you want.

I would say just try to remove that option from BIOS first, and see if your computer will boot up properly. Then, check to see if the drive is being recognized. If for some reason it is all of a sudden not being seen in your My Computer list of drives, check in the Disk Management tools. This can be located by going to My Computer -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management and select the Disk Management section. In this window should be a list of all disk media on your computer right now. That means your main hard drive, any additional hard drives you may have in your computer, USB thumb drives, even CDs or DVDs in the ROM drive. Check to see if a drive is shown there that matches to your external hard drive. Does it say the drive is active, formatted, etc? Often the easiest sign that it is alright is that when you click on this drive, at the bottom of the screen the "status" bar of the drive is blue and not black. If it is black, that generally means the drive is inactive, not formatted yet, formatted in a way that is unreadable by Windows, or that there is a problem with the drive.

Border

I'd bet it is an issue with the hard drive enclosure hardware and not the drive itself.

Try the hard drive on another hookup (internal or external) to narrow down the problem.

flyinhawaiian968

exactly. Just pull the case open on both usb drive and computer, plug it into motherboard via either sata or ide cable (as well as power), go into bios and have it find the drive, save and exit, then boot to xp. It should show up as a new drive if all is working properly. If it is, your usb case is bad. If not, put it back together and exchange or return.

Chris

Oh yeah, make sure you set the jumper properly if its an ide drive. Easiest way to figure it out if you've never done this before is to disconnect your cdrom and use the cables from it to connect your hard drive. Check to see if its slave, master or cable select on the back of the cdrom, set the hard drive to be exactly the same setting. Continue as stated above...