• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HD Camera to view printer at night?

CMYKprnt

There may be a better way to do this but I am wondering if any of you guys use a camera connected to the network? I would like to monitor jobs and submit jobs from home. I have an Epson Surecolor and I need to keep an eye on the printer from time to time. I am also using gotomypc to access my RIP. Would love to hear what others are doing?

T

TonyC

QSee

We have a camera system which I can view from my cell phone. It will snap a picture and text it to me in case of an event (movement). The system was purchased at Costco for about $200. It works great.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We use one of these to keep an eye on our roll-to-roll whilst out of the office:
http://www.foscam.com/product/3.html

960p resolution, downloadable app for most phone types, works beautifully.

Can even set up to record to SD card after hours with motion detection zones if you need to use it for security as well.

TeamViewer installed on our RIP machine to process jobs works well.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
We use foscam cameras with Blue Iris software on a computer to view multiple cameras over the internet.
We use an old computer for this only because it has to stay on all of the time and I do not want to burn up a hard drive on a good computer.

Most IP cameras have a limited wireless connection limit that is less than the 100' or so they claim.
If it is close to a wireless router inside you should not have a problem.

Works well.

Chasez

We went the easy way, I took a Microsoft HD webcam and attached it to the roof and have it connected to my pc at my desk, have remote login set on the pc. If I ever want to check out how the printer is doing, I open my remote desktop app on my phone and log into the pc and open the webcam software... easy easy to setup, and as cheap as the webcam. You could even go further if you have more printers that you want. I've got a second webcam setup to view our other printer and use a combo of programs (google it as theres a specific way of doing it)(yawcam and manycam) to be able to use 2 different webcams at the same time.

Doing it this way, your only overhead would be webcams, and if you already have some that your not using your away to the races.

Chaz

stevenjowens

I've never been a fan of GoToMyPC, probably because I was used to VNC when I first encountered gotomypc, and by comparison gotomypc seemed pretty clunky.

VNC works very well, has been around for a long time, and is heavily used in geek circles. I don't actually use any sort of desktop sharing myself much, I use technologies far older and more powerful :).

Alternatively, Microsoft's RDP (remote desktop protocol) has an excellent reputation, but it's not suitable for two-person use; the remote screen goes black when you take over the machine.

For VNC or RDP of those you'd have to deal with configuring your network, NAT forwarding, security, and so forth. I asked one of the sharper networking guys I know and he recommended for an easy-to-use solution, LogMeIn.com.

LogMeIn.com used to have a free option, but that went away last year. I saw a lot of people talking about moving to TeamViewer (teamviewer.com).

Steve