• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HD Car Wallpapers for commercial use

Jthompson Designs

Is there anywhere that you can get High Definition images of cars on CD that can be used for print? besides istock or other like that etc? I don't want to have to worry about copyright issues...

SignManiac

I'd suggest buying a camera and snapping a few yourself. Plan a vacation to the Hamptons, lot of car candy there in the summer.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I doubt you'll find much at the stock sites. They pretty much all reject photos of anything that involves a trademarked product.

You can use your own pics at your own risk but you may well receive a few cease and desist letters or worse. Your best bet, IMHO, would be to contact the manufacturer's and ask permission. They might even be willing to supply some really good photos.

vid

At one time, the blue oval --- I dare not speak its name --- was very aggressive in sending out a cease and desist even for illustrations of its product line. It was a hot topic in a screen printing forum a few years back.

I tried to google it. However, the clamor over this year's Super Bowl ad, featuring Chevy trucks and their owners after the apocalypse discussing the fate of their friend and owner of a different brand truck, is the first bajillion pages.

I did find this link in the search though. It actually does a pretty good job of explaining the position.

So yeah, even if you take your own pictures... :noway:

Jthompson Designs

At one time, the blue oval --- I dare not speak its name --- was very aggressive in sending out a cease and desist even for illustrations of its product line. It was a hot topic in a screen printing forum a few years back.

I tried to google it. However, the clamor over this year's Super Bowl ad, featuring Chevy trucks and their owners after the apocalypse discussing the fate of their friend and owner of a different brand truck, is the first bajillion pages.

I did find this link in the search though. It actually does a pretty good job of explaining the position.

So yeah, even if you take your own pictures... :noway:

Sent out some emails to find out about print rights... I have a site I can get Great hd photos from, they told me I would not have an issue using the pictures for print, I would rather be safe than sorry LOL. I can tell you that anyone with any website or social page though by reading that article is infringing on a lot of trademarks even local photographers tell you the truth, when they take a picture with a vehicle in the frame for senior pictures. Just saying :covereyes:

Justin

Find a vehicle out in public, and snap it's picture in HD. They can't do anything anything that can be seen from the street you can snap a picture of, and use however you want.(AFAIK)

You could always test drive whatever vehicle, and take pics too.

https://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers

&

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law

[Long Paste - to see sources for the content go to the above wikipedia url - [Long Paste]

Private property
Photography may be prohibited or restricted within an area of property by the property owner.[37] At the same time, a property owner generally cannot restrict the photographing of the property by individuals who are not located within the bounds of the property.[37]
Photography on private property that is generally open to the public (e.g., a shopping mall) is usually permitted unless explicitly prohibited by posted signs. Even if no such signs are posted, the property owner or agent can ask a person to stop photographing, and if the person refuses to do so, the owner or agent can ask the person to leave the property. In some jurisdictions, a person who refuses to leave can be arrested for criminal trespass, and many jurisdictions recognize the common-law right to use reasonable force to remove a trespasser; a person who forcibly resists a lawful removal may be liable for battery, assault, or both.[38]
Entry onto other private property usually requires permission from the property owner.
Some jurisdictions have laws regarding filming while in a hospital or health care facility. Where permitted, such filming may be useful in gathering evidence in cases of abuse, neglect, or malpractice.

Privacy issues
Further information: Privacy laws of the United States
Members of the public have virtually no privacy rights when they are in public places. Basically, anyone can be photographed without consent except when they have secluded themselves in places where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy such as dressing rooms, restrooms, medical facilities, or inside a private residence. This legal standard applies regardless of the age, sex, or other attributes of the individual.[citation needed]
Photographing private property from within the public domain is legal, with the exception of an area that is generally regarded as private, such as a bedroom, bathroom, or hotel room.[37] In some states, there is no definition of "private," in which case there is a general expectation of privacy. Should the subjects not attempt to conceal their private affairs, their actions immediately become public to a photographer using an average lens or video camera.
Many places have laws prohibiting photographing private areas under a person's clothing without that person's permission. This also applies to any filming of another within a public restroom or locker room. Some jurisdictions have completely banned the use of a camera phone within a restroom or locker room in order to prevent this. It is expected that all 50 states will eventually have laws pertaining to surreptitiously filming a person's genitalia. The United States enacted the Video Voyeurism Prevention Act of 2004 to punish those who intentionally capture an individual's private areas without consent, when the person knew the subject had an expectation of privacy.[39] Additionally, state laws have been passed addressing the issue as well.[40]

Commercial photography
In certain locations, such as California State Parks, commercial photography requires a permit and sometimes proof of insurance.[41][42] In places such as the city of Hermosa Beach in California, commercial photography on both public property and private property is subject to permit regulations and possibly also insurance requirements.[43]
At the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, commercial photography requires a permit under certain circumstances.[44] For photography that involves the advertising of a commercial product or service, or photography that involves sets or props or models, a permit is required.[44] In addition, if the photography has aspects that may be disruptive to others, such as additional equipment or a significant number of personnel or the use of public areas for more than four hours, it is necessary to obtain a permit.[44] If a photographer or related personnel need to access an area during a time when the area is normally closed, or if access to a restricted area is involved, the photography requires a permit.[44] For commercial portrait photographers, there is a streamlined process for photography permits.[44] In the case of National Park system units, commercial filming and/or audio recording requires a permit and liability insurance.[45] Still photography that uses models or props for the purpose of commercial advertising requires a permit and proof of insurance.[45][46]
If a photograph shows private property in such a manner that a viewer of the photograph can identify the owner of the property, the ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers, Inc.) recommends that a property release should be used if the photograph is to be used for advertising and/or commercial purposes.[47] According to the ASMP, a property release may be a requirement in such a situation.[47]

Last edited:

Jthompson Designs

Justin, Reading what you have posted may be true but there are copyright and trademark laws stating you may not use anything that is trademarked for personal gains "money" without the permission from the trademark holder. That's like saying I took a picture of a Ford sign or Harley Davidson sign and made them into a sticker and said well it was a picture I took in public. I don't think that would hold much water if it came down to it. I appreciate your looking into that though, I have contacted some of the larger car manufactures to find out for sure, I would think if used in a professional manner there shouldn't be any issues but on the other hand I don't want to find out through a lawsuit LOL. I have heard or issues like this before when people had the right to sell certain clothing lines and end up also selling online not knowing and getting sued and shut down...<---- just happened to a place around our area...

Justin

Justin, Reading what you have posted may be true but there are copyright and trademark laws stating you may not use anything that is trademarked for personal gains "money" without the permission from the trademark holder. That's like saying I took a picture of a Ford sign or Harley Davidson sign and made them into a sticker and said well it was a picture I took in public. I don't think that would hold much water if it came down to it. I appreciate your looking into that though, I have contacted some of the larger car manufactures to find out for sure, I would think if used in a professional manner there shouldn't be any issues but on the other hand I don't want to find out through a lawsuit LOL. I have heard or issues like this before when people had the right to sell certain clothing lines and end up also selling online not knowing and getting sued and shut down...<---- just happened to a place around our area...

Can you post what they say to using the images? I'm really curious what they say!

Jthompson Designs

Can you post what they say to using the images? I'm really curious what they say!

Justin I had to fill out a agreement here
https://fordbrandlicensing.com/NewBrandUseStep5.asp?Mode=Edit

Then I had to do designs showing them how I will use the photos and now I wait and see LOL. I will most likely have to do this with all the manufactures that I would like to use.. I will let everyone know what happens. I attached mock ups of what I sent them.

Attachments

• Ford Banner 2.jpg
    Ford Banner 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Ford Banner.jpg
    Ford Banner.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 67

Jthompson Designs

So, have they said anything yet?
Got a call from FORD MOTOR COMPANY today, lets say if everything goes good I may get the print rights to all there vehicle brands and logo... :) hmmm wounder if that could boost business? Had a long talk today and it is going through there board, :thumb: they were actually really interested since they normally work with LARGE companies like Bank of America, the guy said it would be nice to help out a small business and he will be getting back to me very soon.... I did find out though even if you take a picture of your own car it is ILLEGAL to print it without there permission, he even said it goes for photographers, hmmm, I though good luck policing that..

Justin

Got a call from FORD MOTOR COMPANY today, lets say if everything goes good I may get the print rights to all there vehicle brands and logo... :) hmmm wounder if that could boost business? Had a long talk today and it is going through there board, :thumb: they were actually really interested since they normally work with LARGE companies like Bank of America, the guy said it would be nice to help out a small business and he will be getting back to me very soon.... I did find out though even if you take a picture of your own car it is ILLEGAL to print it without there permission, he even said it goes for photographers, hmmm, I though good luck policing that..

Hey! Thanks for following up.. They may have been feeding that last part there...

So, did you get it? Did you have to pay anything?