Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Imaging

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Lance, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Lance

Lance Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Gooday all
    I'm looking for ideas and thoughts on disc imaging as in making a total image of one HDD onto another HDD.
    I'm thinking along the lines of a backup restoration if needed at any time.
    Do any of you ppl use this method and if so, how do you go about it ?
    What software do you use or recommend ?

All thoughts gratefully accepted and duly acted upon.

best

lance

:thumb: :Australia

Tags:
  2. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Lance,

There are a few good imaging packages out there. It seems that Symantec's Ghost (we have used with good results), and Acronis have the lead.

Usefulness seems to be a matter of opinion. We have both complete image copies, and backups - depending on the scenario BUT that we also admit that is overkill.

3. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    i use Acronis and also do backups. With an image the restore is faster than reinstalling, but also can create a little more work if drive sizes are different. I also think the latest version my take care of this issue. another option would be a raid set up.

4. JMDigital

JMDigital Active Member

Oct 15, 2005
    I vote for Ghost from Symantec. We used that program years ago when it was dos based to repair pc's or upgrade someones hard drive. It does a good job.

5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I'm in with Ghost too.
    Just backed up a nearly full 80gig drive to a new one in under an hour & half.
    wayne k
    guam usa