• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDTV: Full Spectrum LED or Wait for OLED

jc1cell

Beginning research for an HDTV and really love what OLED tech offers but such a long wait for production TVs to roll out. Should I bite the bullet and go with a Full Spectrum LED back-light HDTV and which one would be best?

jc

Brandon708

the newest technology always costs more. If I where you I would get a plasma or lcd HD tv. they are very cheap but the are great tv's and you can get a Samsung Plasma 63" for $2,200. I paid 3k for my 50" back in late 2006.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
So far OLED technology has been limited to pretty small display panels, such as certain smart-phone displays. It's pretty expensive to scale it up to the sizes of big HDTV sets without the display costing a giant fortune.

Progress is being made with developing new methods to mass produce OLED-based HDTV sets. Unfortunately we're probably looking at another 5-8 years before OLED manufacturing is sophisticated enough to deliver large HDTV sets at prices competitive with standard LCD and plasma monitors.

shakey0818

i just bought a 3 hd tv's a 42" LG for $600.a 52"sony for $1800 and a 40"sony for $800.and they all have great pictures but i think the best buy i made was the LG.the picture is the same but the cost is a little cheaper.im buying 2 more 35"LG'S next week.i think anything less than $1,000 is a good investment if it lasts 4 years or so.i have 6 other tv's all different kinds and i am most happy with the RCA and toshiba.

TheSnowman

I was thinking about making the move too. I really want to get one with apps in it though, since we have netflix, and do skype with family across the US. I haven't seen a ton of those TV's, but I know they exist. Anyone used any of those either?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm on the other end of the TV spectrum.
Been talking to the wife about cutting the cable and getting rid of the TVs.
Hard habit to break, but that fact is what makes me think it's time for the TV to go.

wayne k
guam usa

jc1cell

Get the new TV that uses yellow ink with the RGB :) better color gamut!

I heard the best way to test these is to look at it real close with a magnifying glass so you can see the yellow INK, that's a sales pitch from a salesman at a store I read from a blog.......:ROFLMAO:

I'm on the other end of the TV spectrum.
Been talking to the wife about cutting the cable and getting rid of the TVs.
Hard habit to break, but that fact is what makes me think it's time for the TV to go.

Most of my TV watching is done via Hulu (select programs) since I cut cable a while ago. Paying too much and not enough time to watch it. What I really want is to have a home theater where I can have the movie theater experience at home when I do happen to watch the movies that I'm interested in plus a decent family movie night. Also, to setup some football season time ---GO GMEN---, Baseball ----GO YANKEES--- and every blue moon, maybe play with my youngest daughter some PS. I'm 39 and still love to game, what can I say.

jc

dj_elite

I dont even like LEDS. Havent seen one yet that I like. I would go LCD and save a bunch of money. I still have a Toshiba projection 42" and cant justify getting rid of it just to have a thinner TV with crappier picture quality

jc1cell

Really DJ? You're the first person I've heard make that statement about the LED LCD TVs.

Most everyone I have spoken to that have gone from edgelit LED or CCFL to Full Spectrum LED TVs notice a marked improvement on image quality. I agree that the cost is more, but from what I read and hear, the blacks are handled better than with previous models.

Now I'm no videophile or audiophile but I can't stand poor handling of dark scenes in a movie. OLED promises much better performance overall but I want HD within the next 6 months so LED LCD it is. I might go with yours Gerry if the price comes down below the two grand barrier I have set for myself.

jc

hydo1

I always think the LED sets look great at the stores, but one of my friends has a 46" Samsung LED and I think it looks really washed out most of the time. I bought an LG 42" 120hz last May and I really love it. I only use OTA HD channels and the picture looks amazing. Haven't gotten a bluray player yet but I can't wait to see what it looks like.