• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDU letters & Barnboard hanging sign

Billct2

Since I asked a few questions while building this job I thought I'd show the result.
Top sign is HDU letters routed and then distressed, finished with red enamel and additional colors for effect.
Installed with offset aluminum studs in silicone. Font is pulled from their logo.
Hanging sign is two layers of barnboard, rusted metal, PVC and HDU with internal hangers.
HDU finished same as letters.
The beautiful hanging bracket is by another local shop, Ferrucci Signs.
And for those with eagle eyes, yes there is reverse lettering on the glass. The colors were specified
despite me putting samples in place to show the visibility issue.

Attachments

• WP_20150224_14_33_42_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150224_14_33_42_Pro.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 157
  • WP_20150224_14_33_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150224_14_33_07_Pro.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 137

DirtyD

Why HDU and PVC why not just one or the other? Thickness? Cost? Texture?.. I've been looking on 3D Sign Forum and other places and havent really figured out why some people use PVC or HDU or both in some cases, can someone let a noob know... Thanks

And the hanging sign is beautiful, I like the straps on the wood really makes it..

Billct2

I used almost all "scraps" for this project. But even if it was new, the PVC is thin (4mm) to create an outline around the Red Rooster so HDU wouldn't really work, unless
I guess you could machine it from a single piece with the outline, but that thin of an edge could easily snap during handling. The HDU for the Rooster & Letters is 1". The barnboard is two layers of 3/4". I could have done all PVC except we were distressing the pieces and HDU is much better for shaping like that than PVC. There are some routing wizards who can cut a whole sign like this from HDU and then finish it, but that is a whole 'nother animal.