• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

He Ain't Heavy... He's My PRINTER

MrDav3C

Just wondered if anyone has had much experience in moving a Roland TrueVis Printer?

My new TrueVis3 SG540 is arriving at the end of the month (very excited) but I have to get the machine up the stairs onto a small landing and then through the door into my print room. Going to have to lift the printer over the hand rail or take the hand rail off completely.

Wondered how heavy the machine is when its off the stand and if this sounds like a 2 or a 4 person job? Obviously space is somewhat limited up the stairs!

TIA

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I'd say 300-350 pounds ain't too far off. But lifting it on a narrow space upwards it feels like the person at the bottom is lifting 300 pounds alone so...
It is annoying to lift and lots of things to break. Corners are sharp and deadly. Good luck.

MrDav3C

Can ya use a scissor lift?
A scissor didn't cross my mind! I Considered a fork lift, but decided the space at the top of the stairs wasn't wide enough to make it work.

I suppose a small electric scissor with a kick out front could take all the pain out of this! Thanks a lot! I have to do some graphics for one our local access equipment companies Tomorrow so will have a chat with them when they pick them up!

Really glad I posted this, thanks for your input!

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I don't believe the printer - without the stand and other final assembly parts - weighs quite that much. I'm surprised I couldn't find the weight listed on their tech data site, but I do know that two relatively abled-body guys can lift the unit up and on to the stand, so I'd say the unit before assembly is more in the 200lb range. We've installed dozens of units up and down stairs. It isn't fun and should be taken very seriously. Have four guys for sure. It is worth spending a few bucks on 30 minutes of heavy lifting than to drop the unit. You should also ask your insurance agent when the unit is considered your property. We've not seen a unit get dropped, but you should make sure you are covered before muscling the unit up the steps.

victor bogdanov

Can you keep the printer in the box while moving upstairs, in the box will minimize risk of damage and might be easier to handle that the printer out of the box. Rest/slide box on the rails or use something like the following:

1.jpeg

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I don't believe the printer - without the stand and other final assembly parts - weighs quite that much. I'm surprised I couldn't find the weight listed on their tech data site, but I do know that two relatively abled-body guys can lift the unit up and on to the stand, so I'd say the unit before assembly is more in the 200lb range. We've installed dozens of units up and down stairs. It isn't fun and should be taken very seriously. Have four guys for sure. It is worth spending a few bucks on 30 minutes of heavy lifting than to drop the unit. You should also ask your insurance agent when the unit is considered your property. We've not seen a unit get dropped, but you should make sure you are covered before muscling the unit up the steps.
Full weight 417 lb. Not sure if ink is included or not.
Legs are pretty lightweight after all. Just sheet metal boxes.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As someone who has installed 100s of printers into many different types of locations, I can tell you, end users almost always underestimate the weight of the machine. I always say, we will need 4 people to lift the machine and when I show up there are always less than 4 and it's always a hassle. If you want to avoid injury to yourself and damage to the printer, have 4 guys at least. Also, the rougher you are with it, the more likely you are to twist the chassis and then you won't ever get a good print feed alignment ever again so the more guys the better.

Aardvark Printing

Just wondered if anyone has had much experience in moving a Roland TrueVis Printer?

My new TrueVis3 SG540 is arriving at the end of the month (very excited) but I have to get the machine up the stairs onto a small landing and then through the door into my print room. Going to have to lift the printer over the hand rail or take the hand rail off completely.

Wondered how heavy the machine is when its off the stand and if this sounds like a 2 or a 4 person job? Obviously space is somewhat limited up the stairs!

TIA

MrDav3C

Thought I would just provide a quick update for this ..

Had some advice from my customer who deals in access equipment and was told a small electric scissor with a kick out front would only get me roughly half way up the stairs due to limitations on the ground space below in my workshop.

Spoke to another of my customers who deals in large machinery and has moved CNCs etc. for us in the past & we decided the easiest solution was to remove the large internal window in my print room right next to the printer sighting position and just slide it in straight through the window with a fork lift.

After removing the window with help from another customer / friend who's business is the recycling of window frames it took approximately 10 mins to get the old printer out and the same again to put the new one in. Really took the pain out of the this and we made it look easy!

I then went and bought a few beers to show appreciation for the help I received & currently waiting for the technician to set up the new printer on Wednesday.

On a side note, insurance for the new machine was a bit scary: Basically my insurance covers the new printer as soon as it is installed, but because I was using a third party and their forklift, if they dropped it we would not have been covered and liability for any damage would be down to the person who owns the fork lift!

damonCA21

Glad it worked out. I had to do similar when I bought my new house and we realised the large 3 seater couch wouldn't go around the corners to get into the lounge, and it was too tall to get up on end !
Ended up taking out the lounge window glass and it took 2 minutes to get it in

netsol

hire a professional mover to get the printer uptairs. 2 guys who will carry the printer up the stairs.

talk to a piano moving company. take a window out & skip the stairs

i would disagree that leaving the printer in the box will do anything but increase bulk enough to make getting over that railing impossible

to me, 2 guys who carry heavy things, all day, every day, trump 4 inexperienced guys trying to maneuver around that stairway