• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head adjustment on a Mutoh

oozawekwun

Rockhopper II 64", latest firmware.
I'm trying to tune my Mutoh printer to solve a banding issue. The banding is happening where black or a portion of black is in the image. In maintenance mode I ran the front and back and head slant patterns. Sure enough the black head was out of alignment. I was able to adjust the black head so the head aligns up using the back and front adjustment screw and the slant screw. There is still an alignment issue and this is shown on my image. The black head is shifted over to the right. There doesn't seem to be a mechanical adjustment for this. Can anyone offer me a suggestion as to how to correct this alignment problem?

Attachments

• head adjustment sample003.jpg
    head adjustment sample003.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 543

oozawekwun

Thanks Stealth. I'm looking at a Rockhopper II manual Rev ;1,1, 08/03/2004. The only adjustment that I can see that would fix this is the Repeatability Adjustment (Bi-Directional/Uni-Directional. When I run these tests the lines look very close. Is this the test you were referring to or am I missing something?

Thanks again Stealth.

juststrummin

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't tell you how to fix this issue. But there is a fix. You probably won't like it though.

I have had this happen a couple of times and it only happened when I purchased heads that did not come with their metal bracket attached.

The only way to bring the head closer to the adjoining head is to loosen the head from it's bracket and physically move it either left or right. It doesn't take much, about 1/32" is all. You will have to remove the head from the carriage which means you will have to recalibrate when you place it back in. The good news is you don't have to recalibrate to see the adjustment you made, only after the gap has been closed.

One last thing. Make sure you are moving the correct head. Sometimes what looks like the color that is off, is actually the head next to it.

Compilla

The only way to bring the head closer to the adjoining head is to loosen the head from it's bracket and physically move it either left or right. It doesn't take much, about 1/32" is all. You will have to remove the head from the carriage which means you will have to recalibrate when you place it back in. The good news is you don't have to recalibrate to see the adjustment you made, only after the gap has been closed.

Great Tip Mr. juststrummin !