• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Head Cleaning Solvent vs. General Cleaning Solvent??

David40

I have noticed that some sellers of ink solvent state that their general cleaning solvent is not to be used for print head flushing/cleaning. So what is the difference between the two types of solvents? Is one stronger than the other? Does anyone sell a solvent that is suitable for both uses?? I hate needing to purchase two bottles of chemicals instead of just one that can do both jobs.

rjssigns

I make my own "secret blend" based on ArtBots posts. Works well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
No, I'm not going to share the recipe. Last thing I need is to list ingredients and the next think I know I'm gettin a call from a lawyer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It usually has to do with how fast it evaporates. You don't want the solution to break up pigments and then dry so fast it stays in the head. Cleaning solutions tend to dry quicker. So at the end of the day, you can just get flush and use it as a cleaner too but I wouldn't go the other way around unless it specifically says it can be used as a flush.

netsol

we use acetone, as well as the butyl cellosolve and butyl carbitol in just about equal quantities, but i keep a pint of the $50/pint cleaner i buy from solvent printer conversion laying out on the roland.

sometimes i "whack" it with a bit of acetone.
this often works magic, BUT SOMETIMES can be very destructive. (it wasn't a coincidence that the day after clearing a really stubborn clog one of the roland pumps froze)

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I take my Roland CL cartridge apart when it reads empty and cut the bag open then pour the 1/2 ounce or more of solution into a container. It works great.

David40

I take my Roland CL cartridge apart when it reads empty and cut the bag open then pour the 1/2 ounce or more of solution into a container. It works great.
Interesting you should mention that. Several years ago I purchased 4 Mutoh CL cartridges because I was going to store my printer for a time. Never had a chance to use them. After reading your post I went to grab one and noticed the solvent had actually melted through the bags and melted the bottoms of the plastic cartridges. Fortunately the outer bags did not leak or dissolve. I am going to empty all of the remaining solvent into a glass bottle and use it.
Thanks

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I also have a few old mutoh cleaning cartridges that I have been using for general cleaning too.