• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Cleaning With Acetone

96XP

I bet that headline catches some attention ;)

More to the point.:

I just did an experiment with a DX4 head. Disassembled it by removing manifold and rubber seals, then basted the unit in Acetone as I was curious if parts would melt.
Used small brush to clean circuit board and surroundings.
Reassemble the head/manifold, and shot acetone through the head until I could see a clear fountain coming out.
All has visually endured the process.

I then ventured to do the same with a capping station head. All survived as well, and in fact, after using a small paint brush to assist, everything came out looking clean with exception of staining on the batting inside the cap.

I have taken a head apart once before, nothing terribly spectacular, and from my observations, the mesh which has those tiny holes is quite strong for it's delicate size. Titanium?

The next time I require a head change, am going to experiment some more - mount a fresh damper and force Acetone through the head to see if it will clear clogs or not.

All said, I'm wondering if someone can offer experienced opinion on this subject.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Acetone isn't really that strong so it shouldn't be an issue using it and it is relatively safe as far as chemicals go, something about the molecular structure.... I got lectured on it by an MSHA inspector once. The problem is that it evaporates too fast and is highly flammable. You can put it on a rag and by the time you get across your shop the rag is already dry. The regular eco-solvent cleaners are slower to evaporate and remind me more of xylene. The eco solvent cleaners are pretty aggressive. Mimaki has a spot for a bottle of it and I have a melted ring where it sits and I believe Gino had a similar thing with it too?

96XP

Thanks for the notes NRSG. I figured (from years past) cleaning air brushes and paint guns in the shop, that it might be worth a try on the heads - and it was.
Notice:
I'm not a technician - however like understanding what makes things tick.

Attached are 3 image sets, all derived from the original - Ref : A

'BEFORE':
This presents the final and ongoing result following several clean cycles, manual cleanings, and an overnight head soak with regular cleaning fluid.

'AFTER':
This presents the final and consistent outcome following three manual swab cleanings with Acetone, which were immediately followed with cleaning fluid.

Ref -B:
To see better, I removed the color from the image.

Ref - C:
This was simply a color inversion of 'A' and/as just another option to see more clearly, particularly the hard to see Yellow.
Black mark (bottom) was hot-spot from camera flash.

Diagnosis:
Stubborn/hard to clean - clogging.

Procedure:
I first tested the foam head to be sure it wouldn't be compromised upon the introduction of Acetone.
Once established, I loaded up the foam head to full capacity, both sides.
Then with gentle scrubbing back to front & ...., left to right &....; also some circular motions across the face of each, and inverting the foam head as each were scrubbed a few times with one predesignated side of the foam.
*gentle

Conclusion:
It is my finding that this treatment became the solution for my DX4 heads, whereas regular head cleaning method was insufficient in achieving the desired results.
If there happens to be any adverse effects in the long run from these methods, I will update with an addendum.
REF-A.jpg
REF-B.jpg
REF-C.jpg

Last edited: