• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Dampers

JET

I have a VP540 and wondered about the head dampers.
I assume that most printers use a damper like this to filter the ink from any particles but is there also a valve to atmosphere?
Do the dampers vent air in the lines to the outside?
Is this a one way flapper type check valve?
If so how can you check to see if the valve works only one way?

Bill43mx

The dampers are a combination of a fine screen filter and a small reservoir of ink. There is no valve or venting.

JET

venting

I did some more research and found there are two one way valves in the dampers. This first article explains the mechanical ink valve that is in line and used so the liquid ink can only go in one direction.

http://www.nbm.com/library/sb/printingfinishing/digitalprinting/PrinterMaintenanceDIYPart1.php

But what I was most interested in is how the air escapes the damper.
As you will notice the air pocket gets smaller once you replace a damper over time. Since the ink is at the bottom and air is at the top it has to go somewhere.

After further research I found this patent. It explains what I thought all along that the membrane in itself is a one way air valve. The membrane allows air to leak out but not the ink. There is a glycol liquid in the membrane that allows the air to only go in one direction while still retaning a vacume. This explains why they cost so much and you aren't supposed touch them. A very interesting read.

Here is the patent that explains it:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5754207/description.html

Read this part:
An air accumulator 46 can be incorporated in the ink supply line 38 adjacent the connector needle 44 to trap any air that may transit the ink supply line 38, and comprises a riser 48 and an air valve 50 formed of a porous membrane which allows air to pass therethrough, but will not allow ink or other liquids to pass through. A layer 51 of liquid over the membrane prevents air from entering the accumulator in the reverse direction, even if a sub-atmospheric pressure exists within the accumulator. A relatively viscous non-volatile liquid, such as glycol for example, is used to cover over the membrane in this way.

Last edited:

JET

patent

Here is the actual patent from the US site with all the photos.
You don't have tio pay any fees there like that other patent storm site.
The patent is not for the Roland machine but explains a lot on how the concept works.
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...XT&s1=5754207.PN.&OS=PN/5754207&RS=PN/5754207

In order to be able to see the images you need a special program to view TIFF images. IUt is a special TIFF file. The AlternaTIFF program is free and only requires registration. Takes a minute to do. The other program they show only works for 3 days and then you have to pay for it. You can download them both here:
http://patft.uspto.gov/help/images.htm

If anyone knows who makes the actual dampers for the Roland we can do a search for the patent. Many of these items are licensed and not made by the printer company. I did a Roland search but found nothing.

You are way off! There are no "vents" or "one way valves" .... Only a fine screen and area for the ink...you can check your "theory" by blowing at each end of damper...see...no valve(s). There are several manufacturers of the dampers. The cleaning cycle will take care of any excess air, but some air space is normal in the damper...just as completely full dampers are also normal.

JET

This is not a theory. Anyone that understands hydraulics knows that air will always seek the top in a liquid. An example would be hot water pipes in a home where the air seeks the top of a radiator where the bleeder is. You could never get that air out of the lines from the basement no matter how hard you pushed. If you ever siphoned gas with a clear tube you will notice a bubble of air at the top of the tubing will stay there even while the liquid still flows. So you can't push the air from the top of the damper out the head because it is lower than the liquid.

Yes I agree if you blow air in the damper it flows both ways. But that valve you are talking about is a check valve that is made to work with liquid not air. If you shake the damper you can hear it rattle. Check valves are used to control flow direction and to stop back flow.

The one way air valve I am talking about is the damper itself. It is the soft membrane ( Clear Plastic) that is on one side of the damper. The soft clear flexible piece. You can not do a test with it because it is microscopic. If you look at the plastic under a microscope or a good magnifying glass you can see there are pores in it. The membranes allow air to escape in one direction but do not allow fluids with larger molecules to escape. Why else do you think this little piece of plastic cost so much.
damper3.JPG

Here is a design for a HP damper and membrane. When I find the Roland damper design I will post them.

An air accumulator (damper) can be incorporated in the ink supply line adjacent the connector needle to trap any air that may transit the ink supply line and comprises a riser and an air valve formed of a porous membrane which allows air to pass therethrough, but will not allow ink or other liquids to pass through. A layer of liquid over the membrane prevents air from entering the accumulator in the reverse direction, even if a sub-atmospheric pressure exists within the accumulator. A relatively viscous non-volatile liquid, such as glycol for example, is used to cover over the membrane in this way. A cover plate incorporating a small opening to allow escape of air, closes the top of the riser. Alternatively, or in addition, to the provision of the layer of liquid, a check valve such as a flapper or duck-bill valve, biased to a closed position, can be provided. The check valve controls the opening on the cover plate to allow escape of air from the riser and prevent air from being drawn into the riser if the pressure in the riser drops below atmospheric. In a further alternate embodiment in place of the membrane one-way air valve a float valve could be employed, and, as will be apparent, a biased closed check valve such as described above must also be used therewith to prevent introduction of air into the riser when a vacuum is drawn on the interior of the riser sufficient to overcome the buoyancy of the float of such a valve.

Last edited: