• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Fuses

rwalker

Does anyone know how I go about jumping the color head fuse on my Mutoh Jr. to do a nozzle test? It's alful small and I don't see how I can jump with aligator clips.

Thanks for your help

Ron

Pro Image

use a old blown fuse and like Carl said.....solder a wire to it and put it back in the holder.........But I wouldn't recommend it.........the fuse blew for a reason and you need to find out why before you test it out or your head are toast.........

joeshaul

I agree with both of the above. As Dustin said, the fuse blew for a reason. A fuse is just a small piece of wire designed to burn whenever its rated load is exceeded to prevent damaging other harder to replace components (such as capacitors, resistors, IC's, etc). If you had a power spike or something similar that caused the fuse to blow, then jumping it shouldn't be an issue until the next power spike occurs, the fuse should definitely be replaced for the long haul though, if it's a special fuse that your radio shack doesn't carry, Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com) should have the part you need.

rwalker

Head Fuse

Thanks for the help I went to Radio Shack and purchased a fuse holder and a pack of fast acting 20 amp ceramic fuses. If I solder the fuse holder to the board across the existing blown fuse it should work right?

Any input would be appreciated.

Ron

joeshaul

At first I was confused about why you bought the fuse holder, but having read the other thread I understand. Yes, you will need to desolder the old fuse and solder this one in its place. Make sure you're using a fairly low wattage iron (15'ish), otherwise you risk damaging/lifting the copper tracks (done that on many pcb's with my 30 watt iron). You will also want to make sure that your solder pads do not touch when you're finished, as your space there is a little bit limited. To ensure the job was done correctly, I would do a continuity test on the two joints before and after the fuse before I put everything back together, however I cannot really tell from the picture where those joints are to better help you.

rwalker

Head Problems

:U Rock:I want to thank everyone for helping me with my outdoor jr., after 3 weeks I finally got it back.

Lesson to be learned don't let it set... print everyday...keep it clean

I guess it goes back to my old lettering days of leaving the one shot open
my mutoh just skinned over.:doh:

Ron