• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Height

dfelty

I have a VS-640 and I've always run a low head height except when printing thicker material like banner. (This was from the direction of the dealer I purchased the machine from.) Once I had a Roland tech come provide some maintenance for me, the told me that Roland actually suggest always using a high head height when printing. I tried it and just wasn't happy with the quality so I stuck with the lower head height.

Now after 7 years I had to replace a head this year because it was at the end of it's life. We decided since we just dumped $3k into replacing a print head, we were going to run a high head height and just deal with the quality since it's a new head, we assumed it would look better with the high head height. I just can't get over how horrible our prints look. The edges of letters look jaggedy. Colors look grainy. Overspray/haze on the outer edge of prints.

My question is, does everyone run a high head height? Or are there adjustments I could be making to fix the above issues? I almost always run a calibration and bi-directional test whenever I change out media so those numbers are always on point. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
That tech gave you bad advice.

Yep. Doesn't make sense that you should be increasing the distance between print heads and media for no reason. More distance = more overspray and less crisp prints.

I'd look for a new tech. The only time we EVER run high head height is when printing thick banner stock.

dfelty

Thanks for the responses guys. Made sense to me that low head height is the way to go. Wasn't fond of that tech anyway and have since switched companies to maintain my machines. I'm glad I don't have to keep going crazy changing settings to fix the issue.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If Roland had suggested that, they would not have designed the printers with the ability to change head heights. Time for a tech who only tells you facts.