• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head ID

fabio777

Hi,

i usually put the head id in adjust menu.. but why do it?? all mimaki's printers print even without head id.... what is its really function??

Case

Hi,

i usually put the head id in adjust menu.. but why do it?? all mimaki's printers print even without head id.... what is its really function??

Different heads have different voltage settings... Yes, if you don't put in the head id the head will still work... But if the voltages are way off from the head id of another head... You can have misfired nozzles, unreliable printing, etc......

Always put in the head id when you change a head...
It may work out if you don't, but why wouldn't you?

Case

Rooster

If your profile your own system you can get away without inputting the head rank ID by relinearizing your medias. If you're really picky about color you're going to do that anyhow. Even with the correctly input head rank ID.

As case mentioned it's designed to maintain consistency from the old head to the new head.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Um - the head rank ID controls the voltage required to properly fire the nozzles and is really specific for every head manufactured. This is also affected by the machine brand itself and how the machine manufacturer has configured their mainboard which is why Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, etc all use different types of head ID numbers for the exact same DX4 heads. The biggest problem you will run into is overspray and misting from some nozzles getting too much current. No amount of tweaking your media profiles or linearization curves can correct that.

Dont get me wrong - any DX4 head will install and work. I've done it myself getting heads originally packaged for other brand machines (hence did not have a Mimaki head rank ID) so I just went with it. One head lasted under a year and I pretty much had to battle constant misting and overspray problems. On another head the misting was not nearly as bad and I got a little over a year from that one before there were just too many unrecoverable nozzles. Finally got a head with a proper Mimaki rank ID number - lo and behold - perfect printing and still perfect 2 years later.