• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head soak=ink carts emptied to overflow

cha88

Have been soaking the head on my vs-640...come in to check it out today and the floor has ink under the overflow. Nowhere else...machine was off and cap station was filled with cleaning solution. Any idea why it would do this? All my carts except metallic are now empty!

phototec

Have been soaking the head on my vs-640...come in to check it out today and the floor has ink under the overflow. Nowhere else...machine was off and cap station was filled with cleaning solution. Any idea why it would do this? All my carts except metallic are now empty!

This has not happened to me, however I have had cross contamination when soaking my heads, one color ink wicks up into the other color damper.

One thing I was taught to do when soaking heads is to remove the cartridges, I pull them out about 1 inch while soaking.

WalkerP

Yes, seen it happen on many inkjet printers. Filling the caps with solution and having the pumps in the "open" position will cause a siphoning effect. Seen many ruined carpets. The solution is to remove the carts or close off bulk tanks when soaking heads. Tough to 100% know when the pumps are in the closed position, so I always just make sure there's no way for ink to flow from the source.
Sorry that happened. I feel for you!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The longest you should ever soak a head is about an hour in my opinion. Anything more is over kill and it can cause issues like this. All a head soak does is allow solution to wick up into the dry ink that is causing the clog. After an hour, the solution has already done it's job as well as it can. As stated above, what happened is your pump didn't hold the solution in the cap perfectly. So a little solution started to slip down the tube causing a siphon. Once that starts, it doesn't stop until the cartridges are empty.