• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head strike on Mimaki JFX200

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
So I made a huge mistake. I went to print a template onto the table and set the head height so it would be 2.1mm away from the table. I forgot to take out the media locating screws and needless to say the screw took out a head.
My question is? Shouldn't the safety bar have prevented this? I know it has stopped the head many times before. I'm thinking when they set up my machine they didn't check the safety bar height and that is why it had a head strike.
When the safety bar does stop the head, does it stop right away or does it travel a few inches before it stops? This happened right out of the gate so I'm sure the head was not up to speed.
I know I messed up, but shouldn't the safety bar have saved my ***? To me this is a huge issue with Mimaki, the fact that those screws can do this to a head. We're looking at over $5,000 to fix!
Also, what are your thoughts on updating the machine to clear ink and primer? Is it worth it?
Thanks!
Greg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The head jam sensor should have engaged and protected the head. One of the specific parts of the installation that Mimaki pushed very hard when I was in training for that machine was to adjust the height of the sensor lever. However, a very small portion of the head does stick out below the lever. It would be very rare but it is possible to set the head height so that the head jam sensor would miss the pin and the head would take the full brunt of the hit. I would think that the odds of that happening are very low since the gap between the sensor and the head is like 1 - 2mm at most but still possible.

MAC Specialties

Yeah, that's definitely a huge f**k up right there. We have the exact same type of flatbed press. Whenever we use the alignment screws, we always check to make sure that we take them off the bed when we are printing on material that is lower than the screw. However, you can leave the screws on the bed but only if they are lower than the material height that you are printing on. As for the safety bar, usually when I see a media jam, it immediately stops. So the only thing I can think of is that your print gap may have been too high.

iimprint

I’ve been so paranoid about the alignment screw I keep mine off I frequently do vinyl or 1mm hips

Doc Zoom I’m running Cmyk white and clear, love the spot clear to highlight, did an emboss the other day too but am looking at the primer kit too as I do a lot straight to aluminium if you have already done the primer how did it go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk