• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head strikes on Zorbix 10oz with 1204

jimgoodwin

Im using a Mutoh 1204 with Zorbix 10oz Glossy.

At about 4 feet through the job, I am getting head strikes on the media. It looks like it is buckling up between the pressurizing rollers and causing the printhead to contact the media. Using the icc profile for the specific material.

Has anyone else used this material, should I try changing the temperature of the platens? (I assume lowering the temp)

I just wanted to get some input before i started tinkering off in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• 1204 zorbix 10oz.jpg
    1204 zorbix 10oz.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1204 zorbix.jpg
    1204 zorbix.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 106

jimgoodwin

I always try to keep a slack loop of about 12 inches of material hanging. How much should I lower the temp and on which platen?

kffernandez

i would lower the temp a bit as well. is your roll still full? i get that tunneling effect when my machine is having difficulty pulling on the heavy roll.

btw, those tunnels doesn't seem to be that high. how are your head height settings?

kelly

jimgoodwin

i would lower the temp a bit as well. is your roll still full? i get that tunneling effect when my machine is having difficulty pulling on the heavy roll.

btw, those tunnels doesn't seem to be that high. how are your head height settings?

kelly

I've never adjusted the head height, it is straight out of the box.

heyskull

That looks like a banner material?
I knock the rear and middle heater off when printing banner and raise the head.
Banner should be printed with the head height on the highest setting.
I guarantee this is the problem.

SC

durafosinks

I believe you get better ink adhesion when you use heat PRE MID POST (to dry after printing). The tradeoff of NO HEAT is less/no tunnelling vs. less ink adhesion. It's a balancing act that includes your shop environment; specifically humidity

jimgoodwin

Hey everybody, thanks for the help. I tried changing the temp to 30, 30, 50 and then even 0, 0, 50 and still had problems at about 5.5 feet of a 6 foot banner (of course) once I changed the head height, everything was flawless.

Do you guys keep your head height up all the time? It makes me change it back whenever I power down. I only run about 4 banners every other day or so, should I be leaving it on all the time rather than powering it down?

Again thanks for all the help, you guys are a great resource.

kffernandez

if it's just banners, and your prints look fine, set your head height up to the highest setting. you would usually lower it when you're printing higher resolution prints or during calibration on stickers.

kelly