Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head strikes on Zorbix 10oz with 1204

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by jimgoodwin, Sep 18, 2012.

1. jimgoodwin

jimgoodwin New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Renton, WA
    Im using a Mutoh 1204 with Zorbix 10oz Glossy.

At about 4 feet through the job, I am getting head strikes on the media. It looks like it is buckling up between the pressurizing rollers and causing the printhead to contact the media. Using the icc profile for the specific material.

Has anyone else used this material, should I try changing the temperature of the platens? (I assume lowering the temp)

I just wanted to get some input before i started tinkering off in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
    Jim

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

lower the temp a bit and let the roll have some slack before it goes into the printer

3. jimgoodwin

jimgoodwin New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Renton, WA
    I always try to keep a slack loop of about 12 inches of material hanging. How much should I lower the temp and on which platen?

4. kffernandez

kffernandez Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Philippines
    i would lower the temp a bit as well. is your roll still full? i get that tunneling effect when my machine is having difficulty pulling on the heavy roll.

btw, those tunnels doesn't seem to be that high. how are your head height settings?

kelly

5. Compilla

Compilla Active Member

Jul 21, 2005
    It depends on your shop conditions
    I set mine to

6. jimgoodwin

jimgoodwin New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Renton, WA
    I've never adjusted the head height, it is straight out of the box.

7. heyskull

heyskull Very Active Member

Sep 2, 2007
    UK
    That looks like a banner material?
    I knock the rear and middle heater off when printing banner and raise the head.
    Banner should be printed with the head height on the highest setting.
    I guarantee this is the problem.

SC

8. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    scrim temps for me are 20/30/50 (pre/print/post)

9. durafosinks

durafosinks New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I believe you get better ink adhesion when you use heat PRE MID POST (to dry after printing). The tradeoff of NO HEAT is less/no tunnelling vs. less ink adhesion. It's a balancing act that includes your shop environment; specifically humidity

10. jimgoodwin

jimgoodwin New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Renton, WA
    Hey everybody, thanks for the help. I tried changing the temp to 30, 30, 50 and then even 0, 0, 50 and still had problems at about 5.5 feet of a 6 foot banner (of course) once I changed the head height, everything was flawless.

Do you guys keep your head height up all the time? It makes me change it back whenever I power down. I only run about 4 banners every other day or so, should I be leaving it on all the time rather than powering it down?

Again thanks for all the help, you guys are a great resource.

11. kffernandez

kffernandez Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Philippines
    if it's just banners, and your prints look fine, set your head height up to the highest setting. you would usually lower it when you're printing higher resolution prints or during calibration on stickers.

kelly