• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head swap Mutoh 1304? NEED HELP!!!

Jthompson Designs

Is a water-based DX5 epson head the same as the solvent printheads for a mutoh? I have heard you can buy a water base head and change the manifold with a solvent one and get the universal Decryption card for epson DX5 and it will work in a Mutoh VJ 1304 solvent printer. Thoughts? I ask because the water based locked heads are way cheaper, but I have been told are the same head. Thanks

BoF

They are the same head. The part that differs is the manifold, the black plastic part on top the head. This is made from a solvent resistant material on the heads for solvent machines.

Jthompson Designs

Don't know the answer for you.... but what is wrong with your head?

I had a few nozzle issues before I switched to the Bordeaux inks, nothing major just a few missing nozzles, it is a pain for me to get inks locally and waiting to get them when ordering online takes to long, long story short after cleaning the system and putting new dampers in, the head took a FAST turn for the worst and now barely works at all, I have tried soaking it and running cleanings etc etc and nothing, replaced the printhead cables and captop and still when printing the colors are off and some colors look like they be mixing at the head and now half the nozzles don't fire.

mnapuran

Haven't been a fan of ANY aftermarket ink on the Mutoh's.... I did have some major issues with the head once as well, but soaked the heck out of it and did CMYK print tests for 1.5 days and got it back :)

Robert M

Your print head

Sounds like the problem may be the maintenance station. If the lines in it are clogged the ink will not flow and it will pool in the cap top. Once this happens the ink will run from one channel to the next messing up your colors. Changing the cap was a good idea, but I bet your pump is clogged.
Send me a pm and I'll give you the info on those heads.
we have a rebuild kit on our site at www.solventinkjet.com

Jthompson Designs

I soaked the head for 4 days, I have done everything. Can a waterbased head be used with Decryption cards? I really dont feel like buy a new solvent head for $2900 The capping station seems to be working fine, I watch the ink move through the tubes.
[h=1][/h]

catldavis

Your question has been answered in this very thread; furthermore, I've answered this question for you and provided quotes from some of the most respected members on this board who have said it's the same head. Is there someone specific that you want to answer the question? If you perform a search - on this very Mutoh forum - the question has been asked multiple times and every answer is yes.

Jthompson Designs

Your question has been answered in this very thread; furthermore, I've answered this question for you and provided quotes from some of the most respected members on this board who have said it's the same head. Is there someone specific that you want to answer the question? If you perform a search - on this very Mutoh forum - the question has been asked multiple times and every answer is yes.

My Question was answered but I have not found a person saying they have done it and I have seen different conflicting answers to the same question in this forum, so before I pull the trigger I wanted to be sure that the DX5 heads with the black electrical terminals (waterbase or locked) will definitely work. You PM me but I have not gotten an answer back from my last question back on the 17th, What is the price if you have quoted this before? I would be interested if you have the complete kit I need or if you have the decoder and manifold and can point me to a trusted supplier of the head. Thanks, Understand I trusted the ink supplier and, well, you can see where that got me with a head that no longer works and was before I switched, maybe not 100% but it was working.

If someone has a link to a purchase of these printheads that they have used and trusted that would be awesome and appreciated, it is alway nice knowing someone has already bought from a place and had good luck. Thanks

catldavis

My Question was answered but I have not found a person saying they have done it and I have seen different conflicting answers to the same question in this forum, so before I pull the trigger I wanted to be sure that the DX5 heads with the black electrical terminals (waterbase or locked) will definitely work. You PM me but I have not gotten an answer back from my last question back on the 17th, What is the price if you have quoted this before? I would be interested if you have the complete kit I need or if you have the decoder and manifold and can point me to a trusted supplier of the head. Thanks, Understand I trusted the ink supplier and, well, you can see where that got me with a head that no longer works and was before I switched, maybe not 100% but it was working.

If someone has a link to a purchase of these printheads that they have used and trusted that would be awesome and appreciated, it is alway nice knowing someone has already bought from a place and had good luck. Thanks

Contact the member Sightline - This is what he said in late December: As far as use on a Mutoh, I cannot comment since I do not have a Mutoh. I do not know what those use regarding the head rank numbers. Aside from that the manifold is not sealed to a DX5 head in any special way. Just unscrew it from the head and replace it. I've been using a water based DX5 head in our solvent Mimaki for a couple of years now with no issues. I just reused the head manifold off the old head.

The only conceivable difference would be the head ranking and it has been proven that's not an issue. You can find a rather cheap head on Ebay and try it out.

If you've contacted me in the past and I did not respond, I apologize as I did not receive it. You're welcome to contact me again through PM if you think I can help.