• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head worse after cleaning

Rodan68

I'm having a problem with a Seiko Colorpainter64. After a fill cap my magenta head looks fine. But when I send a job the machine auto cleans and then the magenta head shows banding. I can fill cap again and the test print looks fine again but then it auto cleans and ruins it again. How do I stop this cycle?

jbogart

Does the Seiko use wipers to clean the heads at any point in the cleaning cycle? Ou Roland was doing something similar and once we replaced the wipers, it got much better.

Rodan68

It does have wipers but it's not just a few nozzles missing. It's like 50% of the nozzles are missing. I was thinking the machine is starving itself during the clean cycle. Does that make sense?

artbot

that's not uncommon after a cleaning. sometimes a cleaning actual takes ink particles that were not affecting printing and impacts them against the nozzles. also depending on what was being done with the heads prior, you might have some vapor lock.

couple things to look at. one, start numbering your test prints. see if the missing nozzles are "moving" around. like coming in and out or is it the same nozzle over and over. if the pattern is moving, you have some air leak at the cap or damper/line. if it stays at a nozzle you'll just have to do some extra cleaning. also just print a bunch on some throw away material. sometimes there's no better cleaner than a head that is being physically fired after a cleaning.

if you have some vapor lock, the easiest way to rid that is to pull a light vacuum manually under the cap (however that works on a seiko).

Rodan68

It's definitely jumping all over the place. Can you explain "pulling a light vacuum" a little more. Would that be the tubes under the caps while the heads are parked?

artbot

well, if it's jumping then you probably have some kind of vacuum leak. there's a couple of ways to locate the vacuum. i'm not real familiar with the seiko so forgive if i seem oblivious to the machine.

one thing is to isolate if the issue is coming from the supply or the cap side of the machine. that is done by transplanting or swapping dampers. you would put you magenta line/damper on another head/manifold that is performing perfectly. to a test print that would normally give you this clogged jumping nozzle effect. does the effect now jump to the new cap position, if you put a perfectly functioning damper/line to your magenta, does that new damper/line's color start missing nozzles?

if the issue stays at the cap position you have a leak/clog/or something wrong below the head. if the issue moves to the new manifold/head you have air getting into your lines. one other way to determine this is to get to the waste tube that connects to that magenta cap (separate the line from the pump or even vacuum at the end of the waste line). listen for a sucking sound, very very quiet noise. a automechanic's stethoscope can be used to listen above and below the head. you will be able to isolate the issue this way as well. if it's below, you could have your springs on your capping station getting weak, capping station seals getting dirty or old, but really first just find out if you have a leak somewhere.

also wipers can cause this by hydroplaning across the bottom of the head forcing the ink and air back into the head. get a flash light and see if you can view the bottom of the head during wiping. you will notice latent ink being left on the head if it's not lining up right.