• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Health Issues and Vinyl?

DAHVID

Hi. I'm curious if there are concerns in regards to health related issues and printing on vinyl? Specifically:
Does the Vinyl Chloride in vinyl cause environmental issues that effect the health of those who come into it in contact daily?
How do you mitigate risks associated with vinyl (if there are any)
Does vinyl deteriorate and cause health risks if stored for longer than recommended?

Any thoughts or wisdom in this area are appreciated.

For reference, I use a Roland SG300 in a classroom setting in a high school and we print on a wide range of vinyl products.

Thanks!
Dave

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I would be more concerned of the ink than vinyl.
Can't say that I would have ever heard warnings on working with vinyl...

Ask your students when they come in to the space if they can smell the ink?
I know some people get headache from it.

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have a customer who sent his vinyl to a lab to be tested and certified for safe use with children and they told him he couldn't use calendared vinyl as the phthalate content was too high. He only uses cast for that reason. But I agree with balstestrat. The inks in your SG printer are much more harmful than the vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm no lawyer, doctor, researcher, underwriter or anything else, but I'm sure you'll be able to find at least one or two people who have had issues when working around this stuff for a variety of reasons. In a classroom, are you printing with them in the classroom the full hour or 90 minutes ?? If they develop a rash or a headache, tell them to go down to the nurses office and stay put. If you're afraid for yourself, I'd say it's a little late to start thinking about it. Find another job.

I've been working around it since 1995. Sometimes 2 or 3 printers cooking away and sometimes, just one. Like mentioned, I'm more concerned about the inks, but with ample air flow and ventilation..... that can be overlooked. I'd check with your school legal department and have them figure it out, before some kid sues the school for what you're doing to them.

Scotchbrite

No comment
It would be a good idea to get the SDS (safety data sheet) for the inks and any vinyl you are using. You can get a lot of information on those about the safety concerns for any product you use.

For what it's worth, I have not heard of there being concerns about the vinyls in regards to health. As others mentioned, I would be most concerned about the inks.

rjssigns

I have a customer who sent his vinyl to a lab to be tested and certified for safe use with children and they told him he couldn't use calendared vinyl as the phthalate content was too high. He only uses cast for that reason. But I agree with balstestrat. The inks in your SG printer are much more harmful than the vinyl.
This^^^^

Get stuff tested. You can also have a company come in and test for VOC's and other air borne contaminants. Factory where I used to work did that and would have employees carry tiny air pumps with trap filters that later be analyzed.
Sounds over the top but with this increasingly litigious society you don't want to take any chances.

I teach at a local college and the print lab on campus is closed off from everything else with its own air exchange system. No issues have been reported. The odor of inks, substrates etc...never goes away but it isn't causing any irritation or respiratory issues either.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If nothing else was made of plastics, there was no paint on the walls, no drywall, no coil coatings on HVAC systems, no pvc jackets on wiring, no adhesives on the flooring etc etc then I would say the health of PVC on a print could be called into question but this is like pissin in the ocean, not your iced tea.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I'm not downplaying your concerns, but there are many on this forum that sit next to multiple printers every day, all day with seemingly no issue, spraying more ink in an hour that you probably do in a week. Also, I agree, the ink is the concern, not the vinyl in most cases.