• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Hearing aids

Tony Teveris

So it has come to that time in my life where I need hearing aids, yes both ears are shot. Doing many Google searches and reading just clutters the mind, and whom do you believe. Prices are all over the lot. I'm not looking for the hearing I had when I was 20 or 30. So I would like to hear (ha ha) from those out there that hearing aids and what can you tell me. I really appreciate it. T

BobM

Hearing aids, $250 to $10,000. Much like buying a used car, because the "audiologist" has a lot full of options. "All will make your hearing Perfect"? "And we have payment plans".
My experience is go with a national brand. Be ready to feel the "shock" of the first experience with new aids. Price has nothing to do with the quality of your hearing experience. I've tried from $3,000 to $8,500 aids. After several weeks they all have the same drawbacks. They are too loud in crowds, auditoriums. amplified venues. You can't always turn them up enough to hear your grand daughters soft voice. "Sorry Dear wife, couldn't hear you".
Although you can "adjust" them, nothing will equal natural hearing.
But, most of the time, once you get them adjusted properly (by the third trip to the hearing shop) they do a decent job.
The Bluetooth feature is great, except around people who talk to you and don't know your listing to an audio book instead of listening to them.
Oh yea, be ready for twice annual tune-ups. Be ready to be told you need "stronger Aids" or "the newest version" of what you have. About 4 years, "they are outdated and can't do the fine job the new modern ones can".
Like computers, the electronics keep getting better.
Glad to have them but I've learned to lower my expectations and work with what I have.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I too am facing this very soon Tony. I've been involved in a long discussion about them on a guitar forum I belong to. Apparently, they present a problem for people who play musical instruments. Lots of musicians said they get a warbling sound over the guitar sound for instance. I've been told the less expensive route won't work for musicians because you have to take your guitar to the audiologist to make adjustments while you're playing. Of course, that puts you in the ten grand price range right there. I'm seriously considering letting my wife just repeat herself over and over to me until my selective hearing grasps what she's saying!

ThatGuy

I have needed hearing aids for years. The prices were enough for me to not care if I can hear someone complain. I have found Costco to have the cheapest prices.

On a side note......My father gets his from the VA. He has a few older ones that I have thought about using. He said I can have them "tuned" for me.

Tony Teveris

Thanks, I'm not a vet so the VA is not an option but all you vets out there thank you for you service.

Many do have a trial period so that maybe the route to take.

Again thanks
T

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If ya get some, at least you can turn people off, when ya need to..... or tune into the game.

Many many years ago, a guy told me it was like like living a dream. He could hear birds chirping, kids laughing and a dog barking. However, he could also hear gun shots, people fighting and all kinds of things he'd forgotten about. He had them in during the early hours of the day and then took them off around 4 or 5 o'clock. He was happy with hearing 1/2 the day.

crny1

At 41 I gave in and got them. I ended up with Starkey Technologies behind the ear. These are the ones that link to a app (TruLink) on my Iphone so I can adjust everything from there. The app also lets you geo cache locations so that when you return to a certain location they automatically change to your settings for that location. Yes they work well and YES they were expensive but I didnt want to have to purchase again soon because I wasnt happy with them. Most places let you try them for 30 days though before you commit. That was a couple years ago and I am sure the technology has gotten even better. I just hate the cost of batteries because it does add up. These are the only ones I have ever had so I cant compare to any others.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hearing aids, $250 to $10,000. Much like buying a used car, because the "audiologist" has a lot full of options. "All will make your hearing Perfect"? "And we have payment plans".
My experience is go with a national brand. Be ready to feel the "shock" of the first experience with new aids. Price has nothing to do with the quality of your hearing experience. I've tried from $3,000 to $8,500 aids...

There's no one on the planet that I'd pay $8,500.00 to hear. No one now, no one who has ever lived, no one, no how.

Ken M. Klein

Hey Tony . . .Great to hear from you (pun intended!). I broke down a year ago and got my hearing aids from Costco. The new Kirkland 8.0 is supposed to be better than my Kirkland 7.0, but they are made by Rexton and they do work. Remember that these devices are hearing AIDS and not hearing SOLUTIONS. After one year I'm pretty pleased and dependent on them. One of the real keys to success is the skill of the person fitting you and adjusting the devices to your preferences.

Johnny Best

There's no one on the planet that I'd pay $8,500.00 to hear. No one now, no one who has ever lived, no one, no how.

I hear ya bob!
My mother in law, God rest her soul, use to wear expensive hearing aids and was a huge Buffalo Bills fan. I use to go over and watch games with her on Sunday afternoon. She had the sound off on the TV because she said the hearing aids made sharp noise when the TV was on so I never heard the announcers. Which turned out to be a nice thing. Till this day I watch TV sports games without sound. Better way to enjoy them from my experience. I hate to hear the commentators on TVG, horse racing channel, ramble on about things that has nothing to do with me.
I was bless with good hearing and am thankful for that.

mfatty500

While, I still have good hearing, even from running construction equipment with virtually no hearing protection, I cannot work (on the computer) without the TV or radio on, I even sleep with the TV on all night

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have the reverse:(. My hearing is very sensitive and ear plugs are my best friend but I dont always have them. People in church would give me weird looks when they saw tissues balled up in my ear. Normal sounds are so loud that it makes my ears crack like the sound of a busted speaker. Luckily I was given the job as "sound man" and I now get to sit in the back production room with quiet headphones on ;)

Pippin Decals

My buddy said to go to costco and get a much better deal than any place,doctor,hearing center etc. Its worth it for sure to check.