• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat and Humidity

smworld

Does the heat and humidity effect the vinyl for wrapping? My installer is saying that the vinyl is getting hard to work with after lunch as it gets hotter and gets more humid. I am using Avery MPI1005

I-Style

Hey its plastic......
Plastic gets soft when it gets warm....... so yes heat has an effect on the wrapping.
Best results in 25 degrees celsius ruffly 77 degrees farenheit

signswi

Adhesive tacks harder when hot as well, which makes it difficult to readjust position before doing final pressure application.

jasonx

hotter = tackier vinyl and softer.
colder = less tack and too cold vinyl will snap.

Try to to keep in the middle of the specified manufacturer installation temperature guide lines.

modernmav

our shop's not air conditioned and it sucks! heat index reachs 100+ and it makes installing wraps extremely difficult. the vinyl will stretch really easily if your not careful and as stated is much tackier than normal.

DRamm76

our shop's not air conditioned and it sucks! heat index reachs 100+ and it makes installing wraps extremely difficult. the vinyl will stretch really easily if your not careful and as stated is much tackier than normal.

There's your problem right there..You're not only dealing with various temperature changes in the media but then you'll be running it though a printer using heat yet again and then maybe even a heat assist on a laminator. Make sure you have performed an Enviormental Match on your machine and it may not be a bad idea to take the media you are going to print with home with you the night before instead of leaving it in the shop.

Sticker

I also find that in the air egress vinyl you loose some of that (bubbles wont squeegee out) when it is extremely hot and humid. I install only and prefer masked, when it is too hot, as you can have more control over repositioning, If the area needs to conform, I "pull off" the mask in that area only, as I get to it.

"Deposit Please"

Also remember, we don't work so well, or our patience & tolerance diminishes when it gets this frick'n hot & humid. Lotsa water & more breaks :)

jdmage_mx5

My install bay is not air conditioned either but I tend to work early in the morning and then around lunch time/afternoon I work on things inside and then work on the wrap in the evenings. But YES when it is hot and humid the vinyl works at a completely different way. As one person said alot of breaks and water.

P.S. We are currently getting our AC installed so hopefully we wont have to worry about it anymore :)

JYardDesigns

Not only will the adhesive become tackier and the vinyl softer. Working when it's humid can overly stretch the vinyl where you don't want it to which can lift later on.
Also be careful of sweat. When your sweaty hands are comprimising the adhesive it can result in a failure. See it all the time around edges.