• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat Press Deal....$365 New!

datcat

Decal_Designs said:
My press came with the Operation Manual, which is a total of 12 pages one side only. It includes a page that warns you about the voltage setting. However, it does state that it leaves the factory set at 110V. I think everyone should do a visual check when they get theirs, since scubadog's was set at 220V.

Thanks for all your work DatCat!

I forwarded the instructions to everybody in case yours didn't come with any.....PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE WARNING!. And, I agree with the comment above regarding CHECK IT ANYWAY. I wouldn't trust that they have all been set the same way. I've dealt with very well known electronics manufacturers that say one thing in their manual all to find out that a dip switch is clicked in the wrong direction. That's why we have detailed ring out procedures in the petro-chem industry before we put things in service. Human error is the root cause for most mishaps.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Mike

Decal_Designs

Mine was set for 220V also. On mine, 220 is the down position. It should be set in the up position for 110V. Here is a picture of where the switch is located for those that have not received their press yet.

Attachments

• DSC01721.jpg
    DSC01721.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 168

Decal_Designs

I have compared the updated manual that datcat has sent to us with the copy that came with my heat press. They are indeed different. The changes are mostly small little helpful items, but the BIG difference is that the updated manual states that the heat press is shipped at 220V instead of 110V. That means we will all have to flip the switch to 110V before plugging it in. Very easy to do.

I would suggest printing out the updated manual and discarding the one that came with your heat press.

Scubadog

Still no comments on the Teflon pad! I have a feeling it goes on the top but I'm not sure. I figure that it is to protect the Teflon that is on the heat side since a shirt or what ever wil be protecting the rubber pad. I'm just guessing. Maybe I should have gotten 2 of them then I couldn't have went wrong.

Rick

LabelsEtc

I think you'll need to start a new post asking for heatpress tips. I don't think those that weren't in on the deal are reading this one..... just us heatpress newbies.

Donna

jjcccp88

I received mine today and the switch was set to 220. I am going to order some thermoflex Monday. Does anybody know what else will be needed like special transfer tape?

Mike (Datcat) Thank You again for doing all the work, I am very happy with what I have received.

:cool1:

datcat

Scubadog said:
Still no comments on the Teflon pad! I have a feeling it goes on the top but I'm not sure. I figure that it is to protect the Teflon that is on the heat side since a shirt or what ever wil be protecting the rubber pad. I'm just guessing. Maybe I should have gotten 2 of them then I couldn't have went wrong.

Rick

You may try this http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heat_Transfers_For_Desktop_Printers/ or http://216.12.201.158/forums/index.php?showforum=70

When you find out your answers (to anything) send them to me....I'm gonna be in the same boat. I've got a friend that has one who will be sick of me callin'.

LabelsEtc

Did anyone order the teflon pad with theirs? If so, how do you get that thing on?

I finally got my supplies in yesterday, but it was too hot to even think about firing that thing up. Now It's cooled down some here and I can't figure out how to get the pad on.

Any hints and tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Donna

Steve C.

It stretches over the bottom, like an ironing board cover. Easy to do.
Get it on the back two corners first then pull to the front, one corner at a time. You may need someone to hold the machine for you the first time.

LabelsEtc

Steve C. said:
It stretches over the bottom, like an ironing board cover. Easy to do.
Get it on the back two corners first then pull to the front, one corner at a time. You may need someone to hold the machine for you the first time.

:Oops: Ha! I thought it was for the top. No wonder I couldn't get it on there.

Thanks for the info.

I watched a video where you placed the shirt onto the press, covered with a teflon sheet, then pressed. I thought this teflon pad was so that the vinyl didn't get stuck to the upper part of the press. It looks like I need to find one of those sheets before I try anything.

Will those non-stick baking sheets work for that? I'm going to Wal-Mart tomorrow and can probably find one there.

Donna (who has lots to learn)

dynawg

Mine came in today. The box looked a bit beaten, and the plywood shipping base was busted, but the press seems fine. (Mine was already set with the switch up..) The temp guage seems to run 'odd' but really too soon to say if somethings really wrong or not. I don't have my thermometer yet to really check anything.

Thanks again to Mike for putting this deal together!

I took a sheet of plain printer paper and put it on top of my transfers (ink jet, not vinyl) and it worked fine. I don't think you need special paper.. Understand that this input is given with roughly 2 hours total exposure and three transfers with a heat press!

Cheers!
Bob P.

LabelsEtc

dynawg said:
I took a sheet of plain printer paper and put it on top of my transfers (ink jet, not vinyl) and it worked fine. I don't think you need special paper.. Understand that this input is given with roughly 2 hours total exposure and three transfers with a heat press!
Cheers!
Bob P.

Thanks Bob!

Donna

dynawg

I have been playing with opaque transfers tonight, and it seems a piece of vinyl backing paper works OK for that.

I have also performed my stupid heat press trick number one............

ALWAYS place the side of the transfer you want on the shirt, ON the shirt. Otherwise it transfers to the top of the press. Of course this maneuver is best done when you forget to place the afore mentioned paper on top of the transfer.

My next stupid press question is "What is the best way to clean a transfer off of the heat plate?"

Ain't learnin fun!

Cheers!
Bob P.

Last edited:

advsign22

Scubadog said:

Rick

I just had a Grimco rep look at mine and give me some tips. One thing that I found out was that the bluish cover was not the teflon sheet that I was thinking it was. He said I still needed a teflon sheet to cover the transfer. He said that bluish pad was just a protective platen cover. So it look like they forgot to send the teflon sheet that I payed extra for.
Ken

LabelsEtc

advsign said:
I just had a Grimco rep look at mine and give me some tips. One thing that I found out was that the bluish cover was not the teflon sheet that I was thinking it was. He said I still needed a teflon sheet to cover the transfer. He said that bluish pad was just a protective platen cover. So it look like they forgot to send the teflon sheet that I payed extra for.
Ken

Hi Ken,

When I placed my order I also thought I was ordering the Teflon sheet that you place over the graphic. What we actually ordered was the Teflon Pad Cover that goes over the bottom pad. We got exactly what we ordered...... just not what we thought we were ordering. (That explains why I had a heck of a time trying to get it to fit over the top plate of the press.) :biggrin:

Here are pictures of the Teflon Pad Cover and Teflon Sheet from their website.
http://www.screenprintsupply.com/catalog/heatPress/heatPresses.php

Several people have told me that you don't really need a Teflon sheet. Others use either printer paper, butcher paper, or leftover backing paper from their cut vinyl.

I hope to be able to try mine out this weekend.
I don't know what you use to clean off the platen, but I'm sure I'll be needing that info sooner or later too.

Donna

Steve C.

kalvix said:
any word on a second order?

You will need to contact datcat about that, and I think he is on vacation right now. I think he does have plans to start a distributorship. Unfortunatly there will probably never be a better deal that the $365 that we got on the Original Deal. I have seen compairable presses selling for $650-$850.

Idea Design

I watched this thread develop last summer, but didn't have the money to get in on it.

Any chance the original deal or one similar to it is going to come up again?

I keep getting small orders for simple design shirts and find myself wishing I had a good heat press to do the job with.

Thanks

Decal_Designs

$795 seems to be the going rate that I have seen for them now. This is if you buy just one, so I'd imagine that a bulk order could be put together to save some money again, but I do not know how much. Perhaps if those interested here, and those interested at t-shirtforums.com got together, a bulk order could be put together again.

datcat would know more about it.

datcat

You won't see it for $365 again for a couple of reasons...one being that the wholesale price went up in addition to they considered it to not be worth their while to ship for the original agreed on fee. They boxed, tagged, and drop shipped to each individual address we arranged and they don't want to take the time and do that again. I haven't consulted with them lately but I think it was something like an additional $75 dollars total just to make the purchase. Also, I made the arrangements because I was also needing a press. I may consider doing this again but I'd mark them up a hundred bucks or so for the time invested to pull this off. Also, it may only be a one time deal after that because they told me that they wouldn't honor a wholesale price again if they found out a distributor was selling them under MSRP which what I can tell is around $625 on Ebay. If someone wants to drum up 12 positive purchases, I'll see if they will still offer them to me at wholesale. Best guess at this time would be around $550 shipped.