• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat Resistant Vinyl

Outlawsignz

Hey out there,

Looking for a place to buy heat resistant vinyl - going on Semi engine blocks (fresh rebuilds - clean paint)
Must be out there somewhere, as you can buy "Heat resistant" decals - and some of the old motors have them?

I am in Canada, so Canadian preferred for shipping reasons

Otherwise, any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

kklabelusa

If it is going on the actual block itself my experience does not apply. But if you are using it on valve covers, it shouldn't be a problem. I have used our vinyl on big brake calipers. Seen a few track days without problems so far. The calipers were painted, relaid logo with our vinyl and clear coated the whole brakes if it matters. Our vinyl isn't categorized as "heat resistance" neither so I'm sure most vinyls will work.

Outlawsignz

If it is going on the actual block itself my experience does not apply. But if you are using it on valve covers, it shouldn't be a problem. I have used our vinyl on big brake calipers. Seen a few track days without problems so far. The calipers were painted, relaid logo with our vinyl and clear coated the whole brakes if it matters. Our vinyl isn't categorized as "heat resistance" neither so I'm sure most vinyls will work.

Thanks for that, but sadly (at least so far) it is going right on the block. Will hit temps around 300f or so. I have seen on Caterpillar and Komatsu heavy equip - and actually one of the blocks I am being asked to supply a quote for - looks aftermarket as it doesn't have the actual brand name on it, but still.

Gotta be something out there???

Here's hoping

rjssigns

If it's going on the block or valve covers regular high performance(cast) vinyl will be fine. An engine block won't hit 300 degrees unless you're right against the exhaust port. Block and heads are water cooled and should remain close to cooling system operating temp. Only issue would be right up against the exhaust port.

Water jacketing allows show cars to have the block and heads painted with the same base/clear as the exterior of the car.

Outlawsignz

If it's going on the block or valve covers regular high performance(cast) vinyl will be fine. An engine block won't hit 300 degrees unless you're right against the exhaust port. Block and heads are water cooled and should remain close to cooling system operating temp. Only issue would be right up against the exhaust port.

Water jacketing allows show cars to have the block and heads painted with the same base/clear as the exterior of the car.

Hey, thanks for the response - sorry for delay

For straight vinyl, you are correct, I should have been more clear. I have used the Avery's 900 supercast for similar stuff with good results, but I need to make a sticker - asst colors and shape cut.
So I'm looking for a 'printable' vinyl for this.

And, engine bays in rigs can get pretty warm - client says 300f is what is required. I know this is a little out of range (150C) but still, wanted to know if there was a specific product available for this.

I could print on white supercast, but not sure if ink would deteriorate... maybe I should just try it?

Thanks for the feedback!!

I will print on the cast and see...

Christian @ 2CT Media

3M 480Cv3 would be awesome for that application as its very resistant to heat... but it would probably be overkill unless like mentioned is near an exhaust port, runner, or turbo.

I'd start with a high performance calandered printable like 3M Ij40 or Arlon 4600lx

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
3M 480Cv3 would be awesome for that application as its very resistant to heat... but it would probably be overkill unless like mentioned is near an exhaust port, runner, or turbo.

I'd start with a high performance calandered printable like 3M Ij40 or Arlon 4600lx

3M 480 Envision is rated at the same temps as 180C (In Use Service Temp)
In-use service temperature -60°C to +107°C (225° F)

twmiller24

I'm looking for a similar vinyl. So far all I've found is 3m's destructible vinyl, 7930T, that is rated up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

papabud

Lone Wolf
not sure which 3m vinyl it is, but i know they make some for rims and brake calipers. and these are high temp applications