• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heater Help - erratic behavior - sp300V

supurb

Hi there,

My sp300V is having some heater issues. The "print" heater is capable of warming to its full capacity. It can hold it for sometime, however after being operated for a while the heater will shut down and no longer will hold the set temperature. The amount of time before it shuts down varies from a few minutes to over half hour. The dryer heater has no problem at all

I don't believe it is my software overriding the printer settings. I can get it to print without losing heat for sometime before it goes off. I have checked all the settings and they are set to use Printer heat settings.

My understanding per the service manual is that there are two thermistors, two thermostats, a heater control board, and a heater power board. The gentleman who i bought this printer from, who did disclose the erratic heater behavior, says that he did change out the thermistor, and the thermostat. I'm assuming there is one each for the print side and dry side. He also replaced the heater control board. He said if the issue was not resolved the next step would be to change out the heater power board. Looking at the diagram, I would have to agree with that assessment. Obviously the Power Board is the more expensive of the parts involved.

Before I start pulling electronics out of this printer I thought it would run it by the experts to see if there is anything along the way I should check before purchasing a new power board. Does this diagnosis make sense or given the symptoms is there something else I should check. I've seen at least one other person mention a fuse, but I feel like if it was a fuse it would not be capable of heating up at all.

Thanks to anyone willing to share some guidance on this.