• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heater setting for vinyl banner material

kirkbedtelyon

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for heater settings to use when printing 13oz scrim banner material in my valuejet.

I turned the heat down but apparently not enough. Started with 30 preheat, 35 plat. heater, 42 post heater. Material caused head strike about 1/2 way through printing the banner.

Ended up going 30/off/40. It worked ok but I'm wondering if any of you have settings that you like.

I'll try 30 on the plat. heater next time. I just HATE wasting material or potentially damaging my print head!

Thanks.

Kirk

Print-Kwik

I run 13oz with my heaters at 43pre/38plat/48post with good results. I also have my head in the high position.

cdiesel

If you have edge holders (can't think of the actual name), use them. It'll help alot with head strikes. You may still have the head run into the banner in the middle somewhere, but that should be less destructive than hitting the side of the banner.

Keep in mind, we have a roland, but we typically use 0/30/55.

kirkbedtelyon

I run 13oz with my heaters at 43pre/38plat/48post with good results. I also have my head in the high position.

I thought about raising the head but I was concerned about loss of detail. I'm printing an indoor mural that will be viewed at a fairly close distance.

I'll have to experiment with the high setting.

Kirk

kirkbedtelyon

My bad... I just tried raising the head and the print results were great. I could barely notice a difference at 3" away!

I guess Mutoh's manual had me a little concerned about using the high setting with all their "can not guarantee quality print in high setting" crap.

I should have known. I think Mutoh's manual for the Valuejet is my biggest complaint. Very poorly written...or should I say translated.

Live and learn.

Thanks again.

Kirk

ChicagoGraphics

We dont have Mutoh, but have Mimaki printers and we have all our heads set on high, never get anymore head strikes, and the quality is still there.

Seems like all printers coming from Japan, there manuals are most often backwards or missing words you have to guess what they really mean

Jackpine

I have my print head high and set the heaters as high as I can without any buckling of the material.

thewood

We dont have Mutoh, but have Mimaki printers and we have all our heads set on high, never get anymore head strikes, and the quality is still there.

I have my print head high and set the heaters as high as I can without any buckling of the material.

I agree. I set my heads at high and never looked back--still output great prints. I run my 13 0z at around 50/50 with no buckling or head strikes.