• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heater settings for Perf

Nismoasfuh

This is a repost from the Roland sub thread if Mods can please delete that one.

Hello all, so I'm finally getting into perforated window film and ordered a roll of what was described as a 70/30. I have a roland sp540v and in versaworks there was a setting for 3m perforated 50/50 (rather than using the "general vinyl 1" I normally use). It printed much more vivid and used a lot more ink, but had not dried, the ink was still wet to the touch. I know the default setting for the print heater is 98 ̊F (37 ̊C) and the dryer 104 ̊F (40 ̊C )

I'm curious as to what HEATER/DRYER settings you guys use for perforated? Also, is it necessary for me to get the correct media profile for my specific media? Or should I be able to get away with the 50/50 setting for now?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As far as heater settings go you usually want to be as high as possible without the material buckling. It takes a little trial and error but you should be able to dial it in with some effort.

When you use the default profiles that come with Versaworks, it doesn't matter as much that the profile matches the material name. Those profiles are just to make it so you can print out of the box. A lot of people will use 1 or 2 profiles for everything. It's not the ideal situation but it's good enough to run a business. The only time it matters is when you make your own profiles because they will have been specifically profiled for your machine on that specific vinyl. Try a sample of different profiles from different medias and see what works best.

Last edited:

Nismoasfuh

As far as heater settings go you usually want to be as high as possible without the material buckling. It takes a little trial and error but you should be able to dial it in with some effort.

When you use the default profiles that come with Versaworks, it doesn't matter as much that the profile matches the material name. Those profiles are just to make it so you can print out of the box. A lot of people will use 1 or 2 profiles for everything. It's not the ideal situation but it's good enough to run a business. The only time it matters is when you make your own profiles because they will have been specifically profiled for your machine on that specific vinyl. Try a sample of different profiles from different medias and see what works best.
Thanks for the reply! Well we've been only using "Generic Vinyl I " But after reading, it seems like the roland equivalent for glossy generic vinyl is GPPG, I'm going to check out the "Generic Banner" setting next time I'm doing a banner to see how much of a difference that makes. However, for the perforated setting it's definitely dumping more ink and staying wet; and I guess I was just asking for a ballpark figure of where the heater setting should be (obviously hotter).

you can import media profiles that are offered but I found this to see what stock profile setting to use essentially.
http://que-media.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Print-Settings-ECO-SOLVENT.pdf