• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heavy Weight Banners

Gebo

I'm looking for the best place to purchase 18 oz minimum white grommeted 4X8 Banners. At least that is what the customer HAS been purchasing. I didn't ask him where he got them because I am trying to project a certain degree of knowledge, okay? He uses them to advertise commercial property outside. He attaches the banners to 4x8 plywood which is attached to posts. Signs will stay outside up to 1 1/2 years.

His point is to reuse the banner by just re-vinyl lettering the center "guts" after that particular property has sold. The top says "FOR SALE" and the bottom has his company and name. So all he has to do is have me peel the middle section off, inhale some adhesive remover, and reapply new letters.

My questions are these.

1. Do you have a better idea for substrate?
2. Where do I get the heavyweight banner material?

Thanks, Gary

Letterbox Mike

Why wouldn't he just use Alumacore or even painted MDO? would be easier to install, would look better and would last much longer...

If you want the banners, Fellers or Grimco's Columbus OH branch (personally I think they make the nicest banners around) would be your best bets.

GK

Sounds like someone trying to stretch $5 out of a $1 bill. Banners are meant as temporary signage. After 1-2 years of being up, and depending what kind of vinyl you use of them, its either going to be comming off in little confetti pieces or leaving the adhesive behind. On top of that, then you have the ghosting effect of where the old letters used to be because now the banner has been weathered from being outside.

jiarby

He attaches the banners to 4x8 plywood

Why not use MDO or Alumalite?
Do a laminated print, leave a space for the variable data, and sell him replacement decals every few months. Last a long time & looks 100% better than a 18month old banner on plywood.

Gebo

Why not use MDO or Alumalite?
Do a laminated print, leave a space for the variable data, and sell him replacement decals every few months. Last a long time & looks 100% better than a 18month old banner on plywood.

I like this idea a lot.

He's been using the green metal fence post (like you buy at Lowe's) and driving 2 of those in ground, attaching a sheet of 4X8' plywood by drilling holes through plywood and holes in the posts and then attaching the plywood to posts with long screws. He then uses self tapping screws to screw the banner to the plywood. I checked out one of his signs and this appears to be the process.

Would you just attach the Alumalite to the green posts? If you used the Alumalite 5 or 6 times you'd have a bunch of holes in it from mounting it on the fence posts. You can't drive the fence posts in the exact same spot at each new sight. Hmmm...

Craig Sjoquist

alumlite / with groments would work ..last 10 times longer then banners most likely a lifetime if cared for
OR coraplas 10 mil / groments

git r dun

TheSnowman

If your gonna go banner...get a 19oz. from Fellers. You can order it already hemmed and grommet'd (if that's a word), and just stick your vinyl to it.

Gebo

alumlite / with groments would work ..last 10 times longer then banners most likely a lifetime if cared for
OR coraplas 10 mil / groments

git r dun

Are you saying to then mount the ALumalite on the plywood like the banners were attached? Sounds like a great idea. Now let me go and compare prices. This may be a tough sell to a ... fiscally conservative....person.