• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello everybody from Appleton, Wisconsin

HK40USP

Hi all. Been around the forums for a while and wanted to "sign" up (ha ha) to see if I can get some opinions and help with starting a bit of a hobby business and see where it goes. I currently work in towing and am a student trying to finish up a four year degree that I started over seven years ago. I have been struggling to get ahead and I'm really wanting to do my own thing more than anything in the coming future and I have always had in interest as far as I can remember in vinyl cutting/printing and hydrographics. I'm not looking to cut into anybody's business and I am more than likely going to end up moving out of Appleton eventually and the biz would go with me.

So I'm hoping that I can get some help from people just to get started and see if it is something I want to pursue or not but with being a millennial and being broke for the most part makes it pretty hard to get any sort of business started these days.

rjssigns

Try getting a part time job with a sign shop and see if you actually like the work. Would be good experience while earning a few extra bones.

Retired!

Retired!

After 35 years in the business, it's difficult to remember back to when I first started, but it is good advice to hook up with a sign shop. I was taking design classes at a Community College and found that there was a small sign shop nearby. I started hanging out there and helping ( i.e. sweeping!) and eventually they hired me. The other way may be to just start with your hobby and see where it goes.
Good luck---there's always room for another person with talent and perseverance.

HK40USP

Thank you for your replies, and that was actually something I have been looking into. Ive been looking at getting into a large scale operation like a truck plant or something. Problem is getting into something that actually applies to what I want to do. Eventually I wouldn't mind getting not hard signs like steel and formed letters but that would be way....down the road. Thanks again!

Zx360

Welcome from Milwaukee. I started out like you as a hobby. I now work as the lead d sign, production and install guy at a shop doing what I love and it all started with an inexpensive vinyl cutter making decals for buddies.