• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello Everyone

shrmndlit

Hi all, I think I may be headed toward being a sign maker. First let me introduce myself I am 30 live in Aiken SC and am a cop with a Bachelorette in Business. I have a cleaning company(Executive Cleaning Services(ECS)) that has taken off and runs itself. I know everyone will tell me to roll up my sleeves and be ready for a ton of work learning, well I assure up my sleeves are still up from all the toilets my hands were in. Ok so a year ago I bought two cheap cutters a seiki and a Refine. From reading ahead in some of the forums; I know the fingers on some of your keyboards are running a mile a minute telling me that to run a pro business I have to have quality equipment. I believe you but it is what I have and what I will use until I see a need to move on. Ok so I have cut a few things for advertising ECS, lettering and outlines of maids for six vehicles and about 50 coro signs. I used the cutters I have and some run of the mill vinyl found on Ebay with no problems YET. Anyway just looking at going into the Sign/Screen business. I would like to say that reading through this sight has given me a lot of insight and pumped up my eagerness to get started. By the way I am using Corel X3 and was using Sign Cut but have used out my license and am trying to decide on what to use now. I am so glad to have found this site and thank you all in advance for advice and guidence.

iSign

I wouldn't worry too much about entry level plotters... but I'd be more concerned about the vinyl. The proper prices for signs will have your actual vinyl cost coming in at a very very low percentage of the final price... even using premium materials...

...therefore, to use substandard materials, you might save $3-$4 on a $100 sign... but if it fails prematurely, your customer is going to want $100 back... or want you to waste time making him another 4100 sign, for nothing... with time you could have spent making a new sign to sell for $100...

Let that happen a few times, and possibly on some high end work... or with people prone to badmouthing... and you annual vinyl savings are shot in a hurry.

I suggest Arlon, as I personally have over 15 years experience with it & it has served my well that entire time, at a lower cost than 3M, and a higher quality than Oracal 651.

Good Luck!

shrmndlit

Thanks all for such a quick and friendly response. I think I will like it here. As far as that BA goes I have found they come a dime a dozen. It’s kind of what everyone does when they don’t know what they want to do. Thanks for the good advice Isign, and you are so right the customer is more concerned with the product in hand compared to how you made it. Hey pro image, is Cocut a licence you have to renew every year or do you just pay one time? Looked at the site and could not tell. I looked at the supported plotters and did not see mine so i am waiting for them to reply to a email asking about it. Thanks again.