• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Australia

Morkel

Hello!

I've already hijacked one thread already so I thought I better introduce myself. I'm Michael, from Australia (that should answer your questions on why I spell things like Colour, Organise, Grey, etc).

I've been a graphic designer since I finished Uni in 2000 and have been a graphic designer ever since. And I've been doing large format printing since 2004, when I got a job for a sign company and on my first day some techs rocked up with a new Roland SP-540V and my boss said "here you go, see what you can do with this". Which suited me fine, I learn best on the fly, and had more than enough background in "why does this colour not look like it does on-screen" to be suitably resilient to customer-expectation issues. I've worked for the same company ever since, moving on to a Mimaki JV-33, and an Oce Arizona 350GT which was traded in for a 480XT a bit over a year ago. Then a couple of Latex twins which we dubbed Schwarzenegger (HP Designjet L28500) and De Vito (HP Designjet L26500), the reason being that it was too hard to differentiate HP Designjet L28500 and HP Designjet L26500 in Onyx quickly without hurting your head. And now Hasselhoff (HP Latex 360). We also have a couple of Matcam routers that I don't know how to use but know how to set stuff up so its operators can cut (and explicitly how often they stuff up or break down via an interface called Loud Shouting From The Cutting Room).

So I joined primarily to get some help or insight in to a problem with our 360, but am also keen to help out where I can with troubleshooting as I've seen my fair share of WTF's in the past 11 years. I have no training in signwriting but I know enough to do my job. For example if one of our idiot sales reps says "the lightbox is 2400 x 600mm", I'll ask "is that the box size, the acrylic size, or the visual size", while they look at me blankly and then take the job sheet back and return later with more accurate info.

So that's me. Morkel is simply how I pronounce my name with a mouthful of chips & gravy. Oh, add "chips" (fries) to the above list of words I'll use to confuse y'all.