• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Colorado

HulkSmash

Maybe I am. You do have way more experience than me. I realize you think I am down grading our profession but I just don’t agree. I haven’t been an owner very long but we don’t have a need to advertise. We have narrowed what we do and say no for the reasons you have stated. We send business to other shops and they send us business. I do agree with a fare amount of what you have written. I think everyone started somewhere so it is doable. Colorado is growing so fast there is work everywhere. I do have a lot to learn and appreciate your response.

This has nothing to do with experience. It's just common sense. I'm trying really hard to be cordial, and respectful - but yes you ARE in-fact destroying the market doing what you do. If you ever want to grow, what are you going to do when you need to lease a bigger space? Get more equipment? Hire more people? Your $1200 wraps are going to jump to $2500 overnight. How do you explain that to your clients? I understand it's "good for you" and "you make good money" Maybe we consider good money different, no clue. But at the end of the day i do wish you the best of luck with everything.....

Ere

You will probably say “It figures.” to this but we are happy with the size we are. We are small and happy. I have been involved with big businesses and I don’t want that. I have realized in life I don’t need to chase and always want more. My family is happy with our company the way it is. We just want to improve and not get bigger. Yes we turn work away. Their are more important things in life than trying to make more money to buy a big new house, new car, newer boat or newer motor home. There are many sign shops here that are small and that is the way they like it. Our customers love our personable service. Our life experiences are obviously not the same. I wish you well and as you probably also feel. We don’t need to agree to help people on this platform.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ere..... I hear ya, but wouldn't it be nice to make enough money, maybe not to buy a big boat or motor home or even a new house or car, but to at least charge the normal going rate for these things, instead of lowballing everyone else ?? You say you don't have overhead and you don't want overhead, so how can you figure out your taxes, if you have no write-offs ?? I mean, a business who does what your website says you do, has a shop, overhead, insurance and with the way your pictures look, you'd need garage insurance with all these vehicles on your property all the time, unless that was just for the photo shoot. You'd need extra insurance just to instal half the stuff you have on your website. I'm not questioning your legal status or nothing, but is that ALL your stuff on that website ?? From what you say in your posts vs. what your website shows, they sound like two different places ??

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Just because you have the ability to charge less, does not mean you should, that will drive costs down for your competitors that might need the work and/or actually want to be a big company one day.

And gotta agree with Gino here, the website does not match the description. Also impressed at the no overhead despite the “we’ve moved, come see our new space” video.

There was also a mention of not upsetting the big guys in the sign industry, they probably laugh at shops lowballing prices. Because they know once that shop dies, they get more work.

Ere

The commercial was before we moved. We rent out a building to do wraps for $100 a day that can fit any size vehicle in. We have a corner lot that can fit our vehicles no problem. I am an honest person and yes I do my taxes. I have new machines that are paid for. Sure I have a website, phone, and computer program monthly bills. Yes I need to update the website for the address. That is overhead too. No vehicle payments. Anyway. I knew I was going to get into it with you guys. You think I should charge the same when my overhead is less than $200 a month. I wish you guys well but I don’t agree. Sure when my company goes under you all will get my 50 vehicles a year. I also moved from a big city to one that people work together and have friendly competitors. It is apples and oranges. Other people we met at the sign show where shocked to here how it is here owning a business. People are so nice here. Not a dog eat dog big city. Sure when I save up more money I will probably buy a little plaza that I could also have my shop in. I still don’t want to get bigger I just want 1200 sq feet of my house back. Lol. Renting is expensive here and I have enough work. I don’t know why I am explaining when people don’t believe each other on this forum. I got rambling. Lol. Things just aren’t the same everywhere. If I was wrapping in Manhattan, NY. I would need to charge way more.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, you don't need to explain to "Us Guys", but you said things and now you are back pedaling to correct your statements. You DO have overhead, and you pointed people to your website that is outta date and not you at all anymore. How can we believe someone such as that ?? My question is really, why is/are the signs and vehicles on your website, so different from the stuff when your are googled ?? The level of craftsmanship is far different between the two, not to mention the level of types of projects.

I don't wish for you to go outta business. I just wish you would tell the truth..... or at least close to the truth, so when you contridict yourself, we understand why.

Good luck, Ere. Your setup is nice and comfortable.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I hear ya on the stay small part. I run solo and have my a few of my brother in laws help out on their days off. I pay them in a day 4x what they earn from their day jobs and I can afford it because they are there when I need them and they enjoy the extra $$.

I was part of a larger sign shop and didn't like it. I would remember what it was like when it was just a small 2 man show and enjoyed being by myself most of the time. I'm not in the camp of "Gotta get big, lets buy this, let's blow this up..blah blah blah.."

But you know what's really good about being where I'm at? Charging as if I had all those expenses and putting that in a savings account. Why leave $$ on the table? AND you don't have to be cheaper than the big guys. I have a customer service advantage over the big shops and I charge MORE than them. Wana place an order and have a sign up this afternoon or tomorrow? "Well you're talking to the owner, producer and installer and I can make this happen right now for the right price". Good luck getting someone from the big shop to return your call by the end of the week.

I don't plan on using all that savings to buy equipment and grow.. I plan on using that savings to give me the option to not have to rely on this work forever.

Last edited:

equippaint

The commercial was before we moved. We rent out a building to do wraps for $100 a day that can fit any size vehicle in. We have a corner lot that can fit our vehicles no problem. I am an honest person and yes I do my taxes. I have new machines that are paid for. Sure I have a website, phone, and computer program monthly bills. Yes I need to update the website for the address. That is overhead too. No vehicle payments. Anyway. I knew I was going to get into it with you guys. You think I should charge the same when my overhead is less than $200 a month. I wish you guys well but I don’t agree. Sure when my company goes under you all will get my 50 vehicles a year. I also moved from a big city to one that people work together and have friendly competitors. It is apples and oranges. Other people we met at the sign show where shocked to here how it is here owning a business. People are so nice here. Not a dog eat dog big city. Sure when I save up more money I will probably buy a little plaza that I could also have my shop in. I still don’t want to get bigger I just want 1200 sq feet of my house back. Lol. Renting is expensive here and I have enough work. I don’t know why I am explaining when people don’t believe each other on this forum. I got rambling. Lol. Things just aren’t the same everywhere. If I was wrapping in Manhattan, NY. I would need to charge way more.
You say renting is expensive and you want your house back? Welcome to the real world. Charge a normal price and run a normal business. You’re running the definition of a hack shop and every town has one. They usually only survive long enough to hurt a few legit local businesses before they go under as it is not a sustainable model.

Ere

They aren’t different. We haven’t downloaded the full wraps on Facebook. My husband wanted to give some companies exposure. Those companies got what they wanted. Thanks for cutting them down too. As for my overhead $200 is basically nothing to me. The truth doesn’t always have to be negative. How about bringing people up and helping instead of doing the opposite. I am honest so for you to imply anything else is annoying. Wish you well. I am done. Thanks. We are doing great and always learning.

Ere

I hear ya on the stay small part. I run solo and have my a few of my brother in laws help out on their days off. I pay them in a day 4x what they earn from their day jobs and I can afford it because they are there when I need them and they enjoy the extra $$.

I was part of a larger sign shop and didn't like it. I would remember what it was like when it was just a small 2 man show and enjoyed being by myself most of the time. I'm not in the camp of "Gotta get big, lets buy this, let's blow this up..blah blah blah.."

But you know what's really good about being where I'm at? Charging as if I had all those expenses and putting that in a savings account. Why leave $$ on the table? AND you don't have to be cheaper than the big guys. I have a customer service advantage over the big shops and I charge MORE than them. Wana place an order and have a sign up this afternoon or tomorrow? "Well you're talking to the owner, producer and installer and I can make this happen right now for the right price". Good luck getting someone from the big shop to return your call by the end of the week.

I don't plan on using all that savings to buy equipment and grow.. I plan on using that savings to give me the option to not have to rely on this work forever.
OMG. You get me. I totally agree with you. Yes we get business from the big guys because they won’t answer their phone or call them back. We do it all the steps too and love it. Have an awesome day.

equippaint

OMG. You get me. I totally agree with you. Yes we get business from the big guys because they won’t answer their phone or call them back. We do it all the steps too and love it. Have an awesome day.
Sooo why do it cheaper? When other companies cant be reached, cant get to the work or wont accept new customers, that right there is all you need to price at market or above, not below, and still get about every job that comes your way.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

That's good, but consider the advise of charging more. Dont devalue yourself because you're operating from home. Some customers see the personal service as a benefit they are willing to pay more for.

My family has a vacation house out in COS. Only thing I like about it up there are the summers. Too many strange people and traffic..

Ere

Sooo why do it cheaper? When other companies cant be reached, cant get to the work or wont accept new customers, that right there is all you need to price at market or above, not below, and still get about every job that comes your way.
You do have a point. Especially when I have paid to get wrappers to wrapping classes so they can get better at their craft. I am also a sucker at times for small companies just starting out that can’t afford it. I also don’t really know exactly what people are charging for full commercial printed wraps. I only know what people have told me but I have never priced it myself. Wrapping is the straight forward part the rest of it is work. Sometimes I don’t want the customer to go somewhere else but I shouldn’t be afraid of that. That is not a way to do business. I have my flaws. I should just let them go somewhere else especially in the summer when we are just too busy. People here seem to hibernate in the winter. Lol. I should really look at my price chart and compare it. I also do a lot of word of mouth work so like someone mentioned it is hard to raise the price too quickly. Thanks for your input.

Ere

That's good, but consider the advise of charging more. Dont devalue yourself because you're operating from home. Some customers see the personal service as a benefit they are willing to pay more for.

My family has a vacation house out in COS. Only thing I like about it up there are the summers. Too many strange people and traffic..[/QUOTE
I will take your advise about charging more. I need to do research and see what companies are truly charging.
You are right there are plenty of weirdos but they are from Texas. Lol. Just kidding. Many people are from Texas here. There is also no night life in town if you are young. I came from a big city so the traffic to me isn’t too bad. The main HWY is bad during rush hour.
Have a great day.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Our vacation house is off Dublin in the new part of town...nice and quiet out there. My aunt lives close to downtown and says there s a lot that goes on... outdoor music and such right in their front yard. She is the weirdest in our family so its right that she lives there. I feel like Im the only one in the Springs that doesn't have a tattoo or piercing... but King Soopers are pretty cool

Ere

Our vacation house is off Dublin in the new part of town...nice and quiet out there. My aunt lives close to downtown and says there s a lot that goes on... outdoor music and such right in their front yard. She is the weirdest in our family so its right that she lives there. I feel like Im the only one in the Springs that doesn't have a tattoo or piercing... but King Soopers are pretty cool
Lol. She would be the one that make you feel normal. Yes there are a lot of weird people and beggars. We live near Garden of the Gods park. We like it and we just take the back way to get into the mountains. I moved from the Detroit area and I love it here. People are very friendly. It is all what your life experiences are.

Ere

I am in Aspen right now. So darn beautiful here and driving through Independence Pass. There were so many avalanches through there this winter. Just rivers of trees destroyed going down the mountains. The snow won’t have a chance to completely melt this year before it starts snowing again.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My little girl loves GofG. She's strong and likes to tip over boulders.

PrkEolgfWnKGJSM-6twTttOH2zrPdxcP4MCl9J6iXABrT5SEdfEouRnUW-8oSkSJ661KqdA51ZwDIAJ8e1NQvs4iKatiwtq944C77IDT60LA1-E0IL09LwdH4_lFE6nNXVWc2CFs9Os=w320-h657-no

equippaint

You do have a point. Especially when I have paid to get wrappers to wrapping classes so they can get better at their craft. I am also a sucker at times for small companies just starting out that can’t afford it. I also don’t really know exactly what people are charging for full commercial printed wraps. I only know what people have told me but I have never priced it myself. Wrapping is the straight forward part the rest of it is work. Sometimes I don’t want the customer to go somewhere else but I shouldn’t be afraid of that. That is not a way to do business. I have my flaws. I should just let them go somewhere else especially in the summer when we are just too busy. People here seem to hibernate in the winter. Lol. I should really look at my price chart and compare it. I also do a lot of word of mouth work so like someone mentioned it is hard to raise the price too quickly. Thanks for your input.
Good idea. It goes without saying that the economy will eventually cool off and you don't want to be there with a business you built on price. Make what you can today and sock it away to weather down periods and/or cautiously grow. People do business with people they like and you seem to be a likeable person. Use it to your advantage. If you aren't comfortable making too much money, we will shamelessly accept donations of excess earnings to help you out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here's an old friend of mine with his pet pigeon, Barney, about ready to knock some building over...... or maybe he's trying to hold it up.

33654EF400000578-3551355-Brought_a_friend_In_this_image_the_man_s_hand_is_resting_on_the_-m-10_1461236017908.jpg