• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Englewood, New Jersey

shock-min

After 7 years in the coffee industry I've lost the passion and jumped ship about 3 months ago. At the coffee company I had 2 of our Hummer's wrapped and pimped out with lights and high end stereo equipment. I enjoyed the whole wrapping experience and thought one day I may open my own wrapping business. I started to work with the gentleman who wrapped the Hummers and had a couple questions. Firstly, is auto wrapping a growing market? I would think so as the majority of vehicles aren't wrapped along with advertising mediums shrinking such as newspapers and FM but I heard that the wrapping business is slow. I just want to make sure I make a good career move. I appreciate any input you could give me on how the current market is doing and how well it may do in the future. The other question I had is it true that installers are in high demand? Thank you in advance for your help!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hello and welcome from PA……………..

Your question is a loaded one and probably best answered as truthfully as I can do………..

It’s a very good business to be in…. if you know what you’re doing and have the basics down pat. You need to know general concept, signs, layout, design, media, profiling, computers, color wheel, photography, software, copywriting, a place to do it and most of all….. upfront capital to get the equipment.

If you wanna jump in as a hobbyist and learn as you go from the good people here or any other forums, I would advise against it. You probably won’t get much help. We already have enough hacks in this industry and one more advertising the fact of how easy this appears is just looking for trouble.

Not trying to be brutal with you, but I am being honest.

Good Luck…………….

shock-min

Hi Gino...

Not sure what you mean with regards to "hacks"? In any event the guy I'm working with is a very good car wrap installer. Due to our good business relationship he is willing to train me on how to install the graphics. He said it will take a minimum of 6 months to learn. I'm sure I'll be good at installing but my strong suit is marketing and or sales. I don't want to open a shop but rather be somewhat of a middleman between the printer and installer. I guess I'd be considered a broker. So, as a broker I wanted to make sure it's a good and growing field to get into.

Craig Sjoquist

welcome to a outstanding forum and people

Gino explained it well indeed ....

as a broker ..selling wraps is a very good choice indeed,... also and since you have a good relationship with a on going shop to learn from your very lucky....

as far wraps being the present and future ...yes indeed again ... but surely this will also change ... the biggest draw back on wraps is to many designers, just put to much in the design, and do not allow for contrast thats really needed to read what the message is ..hence the hacks in the trade

wish the best of luck and like anything else hard work and good training gets the best reward

signage

Another welcome to the forums from PA....

Use the search feature and do a search on wrapping, I think you should stay at the coffee shop, hard enough to sell a wrap without having a middle man expect to also get paid! jm.02c

DRamm76

Welcome from Flemington NJ. We're not too far from you..Looking forward to seeing some of your brokered jobs out there! Good luck to you!