• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello From Florida

Hello everyone, Name is Chris and located in the Panhandle of Florida. 21 years old, business major, and currently working at a sign shop I have been with for for 4+ years. Prior to working here I did small graphic design, sort of "free lance" style work.

My originaly plan after working here after about 2 years was to buy the business from the current owner. He has been in the business for a long time, and getting time to retire. Had a few serious sit-downs and dinner meetings about it. After mulling it over more and more, and with the support of family, I have since decided to travel the path of starting my own business.

My business plan is currently in the works, and is looking bright for the hopefully near future.

I am sure that with all the knowledgeable infomration and members among this web forums that my path will be even brighter from everyone with first-hand management experience, ownership, etc.

Anyways, glad to be here :)

Thanks for the welcome guys. I can't get enough of the forum, there is so much useful information on here! I'm sure ill get pointed in the right direction through some heavy research on this forum and other web resources combined with my current knowledge & experience.

4R Graphics

Welcome from the other side of North Florida. If your going to start your own business capital is going to be the big one. I didnt have much capital to start with so I bought a plotter and as of current I still use the wholesalers youll find here for all my print work. Ill buy a printer one day still trying to pay bills and get the capital but none of my clients know I cant do it in house so think about that when your looking at equipment plotters are reasonablly priced and you can buy one with a credit card printers are a different animal. You already know this I am sure.

Good Luck.

Welcome from the other side of North Florida. If your going to start your own business capital is going to be the big one. I didnt have much capital to start with so I bought a plotter and as of current I still use the wholesalers youll find here for all my print work. Ill buy a printer one day still trying to pay bills and get the capital but none of my clients know I cant do it in house so think about that when your looking at equipment plotters are reasonablly priced and you can buy one with a credit card printers are a different animal. You already know this I am sure.

Good Luck.

Oh yeah, I'm going to get my feet wet, make a committment on an amount of cash flow to begin with, have a back-up, and another back-up for that back-up. And of course, as I am sure everyone does starting out and still does yearly, make a committment to continue to invest in the business.

Where abouts in North Florida are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

Welcome, Florida has ALOT of sign shops good luck.

No doubt, especially with Real Estate (even though it's not so hot right now..still selling a lot of "reduced" signs though :) )

There are 4 major sign shops here in Panama City Beach, we are probably the largest & busiest of them, but we are a little under water right now as well..although Spring Break brings in a good amount of business.

I've been thinking about the location of my old hometown about 40 miles away, it's in between Panama City Beach, Destin, Fort Walton, DeFuniak Springs, Pensacola, etc. The town is somewhat small, but growth over the past 5 years has been exponential with an Airport coming up less than 20 miles away, and there are no 'local' sign shops to the area, and with the growth of the area..I think it could be a location.

At this point, it is only prospect, i'll analyze the potential business a little further over the next couple months and see where my opportunity falls.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Welcome. Stay up North. Need anything just pm me.

:Welcome:

Welcome. Stay up North. Need anything just pm me.

:Welcome:

Thanks for the Welcome, same to everyone else. I think I'll probably stay here N., in the Panhandle at least for sure. It's home, been here all my life, and it's a nice area to raise a family and there's always something to do..

I have a 19 month old little girl, she's crazy about the beach & the water (though we keep her from it), her face lights up and she smiles ear to ear the second you put her tiny little feet in the sand. At the end of every day, that makes the hardships of the day worth it all :)

I can't wait to get running with this, but preparation and knowledge is the key, so my patience is going to be play a major role in hitting the ground running. I love the work I do, and I have always been told work at a job you love, not for the money. If you enjoy your job, the money will come.
I love my job, and love the idea of ownership (even though I am sure, as I have heard, the business will own me :) )

Thanks everyone!