• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Houston!!!

m4ruk4

Hi. I'm "new" to the sign industry. I'm a graphic designer. Started small (invitations, banners for parties, and stuff like that mostly for my family members and then I started getting customers)
A year and a half ago an opportunity came to me to start working on a Sign company. So I took it.

Its been quite a journey and I've learned a lot. Of course the "boss" does not want me to learn all of it. He might have his reasons. We fabricate channel letters, pylon signs, monument signs, etc.

I've jumped from 1:1 scale all the time to working on scales and all. Pretty interesting.

I always use common sense and try to figure out everything myself. But there are some things that I still need help with.

I also have my "small business" on the side. All printed advertisement for business, business cards, postcards, banners, vinyl, etc.

This is on the side as I said and I been growing quite a bit.

I love this site. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can and I read as many posts as I can to get to know more.

Hope y'all are doing great :)

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Welcome from sunny Niceville, FL.

Uh..except today! Flooding here right now but about 70 deg.

​p.s. not an illy user are you?

m4ruk4

:)

Over Here is ... fine I guess lol 47 deg. i like this weather.

I dont know what illy means lol

Welcome from sunny Niceville, FL.

Uh..except today! Flooding here right now but about 70 deg.

​p.s. not an illy user are you?

TXFB.INS

welcome aboard, great source of information

"Illy" usually means Adobe Illustrator

IMO, with what you have posted I can see why the boss is limiting your access. especially since you have a "side" that is also make products with graphics on them

myront

CorelDRAW is best

IMO, with what you have posted I can see why the boss is limiting your access. especially since you have a "side" that is also make products with graphics on them

As does killustrator. lol

m4ruk4

:)

Oh... I didn't know what Illy means lol, here we use more Corel Draw than AI.

Well the boss knew before he even offered me a job. And is not just me, the prior designers as well. But at the end of the day I keep learning, I just keep what I learn by myself on the side as he wants it to be :)

And my "side business" is more printed advertisement, sublimation products, and stuff like that. I get channel letters and other big signs from time to time (which is what we do here) but I'm looking for a provider outside my office, as my boss wants to give me a $50 bonus for a 15k sign... my math dosn't add up lol

grafixemporium

Oh... I didn't know what Illy means lol, here we use more Corel Draw than AI.

Well the boss knew before he even offered me a job. And is not just me, the prior designers as well. But at the end of the day I keep learning, I just keep what I learn by myself on the side as he wants it to be :)

And my "side business" is more printed advertisement, sublimation products, and stuff like that. I get channel letters and other big signs from time to time (which is what we do here) but I'm looking for a provider outside my office, as my boss wants to give me a $50 bonus for a 15k sign... my math dosn't add up lol

Welcome to Signs 101. I'm not sure you've come to the right place for sympathy about your bonus. Remember, there are a lot of businesses owners and "bosses" here offering help and guidance.

Did you negotiate a commission structure for you position? Or was the $50 bonus just that... a bonus? If something is off base with your negotiated salary or commission, then you should bring it up to the owner/manger. However, if you were offered a voluntary bonus for a job well done, then you should probably say thank you and move on to the next project.

With hard work, a great attitude and a bit of luck perhaps some day you will own and manage your own shop and have a clearer understanding of all the challenges associated with running a business. Designing and fabricating signs and print materials is really just a small part of what we do. Finding good, loyal help is always a top challenge business owners face. Understanding margins is also crucial. That $50 bonus you were offered on that $15k job may not make sense to you, but have you completely wrapped your head around all the costs associated with running that business? Not just materials and labor... but also rent, utilities, supplies, support staff, commercial insurance, employment taxes, marketing, customer acquisition, profit, etc. Managing cash flow and being able to fund purchase orders without going into debt is a big hurdle for any small business owner. Try to imagine the stress level when you have to worry about not just your own income, but the income and livelihoods of all your employees - whether that is 2, 10 or 50. The stress just compounds. Remember, the more employees you have, the more personalities you have to juggle to ensure everyone is happy and works well together. Let me be the first to tell you - in case you don't already know - sign and print shop owners aren't typically the richest guys on the block. Most of us earn a good living and work very hard for every dollar we make.

Good luck!

Andrew
GFX Wraps

m4ruk4

I agree, not to all of it.

I believe you did not understand my point, the customer was mine, not his customer...

I had the option to give him the job or not, of course I did not! I found somebody else outside the office who charged me 12 k to make the sign with permit and all and I made 2.5k being the middle man. I understand where you come from with all the costs and whatnot, and yes if this was a voluntary bonus i would agree, but the job was mine, not his... I did everything out of work hours, talking to the customer, meetings, drawings and all, and he wanted to take this as if he was the one providing the job and I was only doing the work on my schedule.

At the end, we made the job (with other company, of course) and everything went smooth, no complaints, no nothing. After this he got "upset" because I did not give him the job, and whatnot. I quit that place 2 months ago! :)

Welcome to Signs 101. I'm not sure you've come to the right place for sympathy about your bonus. Remember, there are a lot of businesses owners and "bosses" here offering help and guidance.

Did you negotiate a commission structure for you position? Or was the $50 bonus just that... a bonus? If something is off base with your negotiated salary or commission, then you should bring it up to the owner/manger. However, if you were offered a voluntary bonus for a job well done, then you should probably say thank you and move on to the next project.

With hard work, a great attitude and a bit of luck perhaps some day you will own and manage your own shop and have a clearer understanding of all the challenges associated with running a business. Designing and fabricating signs and print materials is really just a small part of what we do. Finding good, loyal help is always a top challenge business owners face. Understanding margins is also crucial. That $50 bonus you were offered on that $15k job may not make sense to you, but have you completely wrapped your head around all the costs associated with running that business? Not just materials and labor... but also rent, utilities, supplies, support staff, commercial insurance, employment taxes, marketing, customer acquisition, profit, etc. Managing cash flow and being able to fund purchase orders without going into debt is a big hurdle for any small business owner. Try to imagine the stress level when you have to worry about not just your own income, but the income and livelihoods of all your employees - whether that is 2, 10 or 50. The stress just compounds. Remember, the more employees you have, the more personalities you have to juggle to ensure everyone is happy and works well together. Let me be the first to tell you - in case you don't already know - sign and print shop owners aren't typically the richest guys on the block. Most of us earn a good living and work very hard for every dollar we make.

Good luck!

Andrew
GFX Wraps

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Welcome! - I'm new here to.

Damn that's some large conflict of interest. There's some things you should keep to your self.

You should probably start being a full time middle man. Just find a reputable printing shop/s. Some times 1 shop will do something better than another.
We have 1 client who only comes to us for glass prints (which is our neish market). And will go to another shop for wall decorations. (his a fine art photographer) Totally cool with that as we cannot cater for what his after.

good luck!